TMP214-53-58GN ProShield Plus Issue Does anyone have a download of this service?

Answers

• Vanilla66
    Vanilla66 Member Posts: 63 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    @billsey there is no slot on the front right corner and it’s not in device manager either. I saw the pictures of what it’s supposed to look like but my unit doesn’t have the slot for some reason.

@JackE Thank you for the clarification! I’ll ask Acer if it can be replaced.
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,470 Trailblazer
    Probably cheaper if you replace it yourself. it's the same ir FHD that standard for the higher priced p414-51 & p614-51 model series. About $50. I'd guess ACER would charge more --- a lot more --- and a lot lot more with installation. Google search the part no.ks.fhd0q.003 for vendors who ship to your location. Good luck. Let us know what you decide.

Jack E/NJ

• Vanilla66
    Thank you for the part number! I’ll check with my local parts distributor.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,672 Trailblazer
    I don't believe that is the case. ProShield is using different facial recognition technology than Microsoft is using with Windows Hello. I could be wrong but we won't know for sure until we can get some direction as to how to install ProShield.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • JackE
    @Billsey. As mentioned earlier, the ACER ProShield+  FR app seems to use an ir FHD camera hardware that is also Hello compatible. This optional ir camera and part no. is from the  P214-53 replaceable unit list. It is also the same part used in the higher priced tmp4 & tmp6 with facial recognition.

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    edited July 2022 Answer ✓
    OK, I have a test version for you to try. https://us.v-cdn.net/6029997/uploads/editor/zm/gwlgd983vuy7.zip should get you an installer that will install the corrected version of the Proshield Plus service and if you follow that with the app from the Microsoft Store you will have the GUI as well. I expect that once they've done enough testing with this version of the service they will roll the whole package out to the store as an update.
    It turns out that Jack is correct, Proshield Plus uses Windows Hello for authentication, so facial recognition is only supported if you have the correct camera. On my system, since I don't have the camera, I'm asked for my fingerprint instead.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Vanilla66
    Thank you so much! I’ll test it later.
  • Vanilla66
    @billsey I just installed it and can confirm it works. Thank you so much! I can also confirm that the camera option does not show up. It's asking me for fingerprint or pin as well. I'll see if I can get the correct camera.
  • JackE
    Thanks for reporting back. Good luck with find an ir camera. :)

Jack E/NJ

• Vanilla66

@billsey @JackE Acer support have confirmed that the smart card slot and facial recognition were incorrectly listed on the spec sheet. This model is not supposed to have those features. However, they have agreed to send me a replacement with the specs listed on the spec sheet. Thank you again for helping me find the cause of this issue!

• JackE

>>>they have agreed to send me a replacement with the specs listed on the spec sheet.>>

Thanks for reporting back. Please let us know what happens after you get the replacement.

Jack E/NJ

• Vanilla66

Acer support said around the time of the last post that they are currently out of stock for that model and they don’t know when they’ll get one. They’ve advised me to wait until they call back. Currently, they still don’t have an expected date.

• JackE

Does this mean they don't have camera part no. ks.fhd0q.003? Or they don't have a p214-53 with the camera already installed?

Jack E/NJ

• Vanilla66

They don’t have P214-53 with the camera and smart card reader already installed

• Vanilla66

They called today and said they have it. They sent me a label to overnight the old one to them. Oddly enough, the incorrect spec sheet still hasn’t been updated.

• JackE

>>>Oddly enough, the incorrect spec sheet still hasn’t been updated.>>>

Might seem oddly enough. But don't hold your breath waiting for it to be corrected. Unless of course a swarm of other folks also want to trade their unit for one that was as advertised. 🙂

Jack E/NJ

• Vanilla66

They got my laptop on Tuesday morning. They said they would overnight the new one to me as soon as they got my old one but they haven't shipped it yet. I'm going to follow up with them in the morning.

• JackE

>>>I'm going to follow up with them in the morning.>>>

Yes. Good. Please let us know whether or not it's been shipped yet.

Jack E/NJ

• Vanilla66

I just picked it up today. They sent me the exact same model with the exact same incorrect specs... It still has the wrong camera and no smart card reader.

• billsey
    Dang it... Someone didn't understand the issue. :(