Swift 3X IOMMU question SF314-510G

harrisonjones
harrisonjones Member Posts: 4 New User
edited July 2022 in Swift and Spin Series
I'd first like to say I am a proud owner of a Swift 3 SF314-52 and couldn't be happier with it, but it's been four generations now, so...

I want to buy a Swift 3X.  But before I do, I want to be completely certain the IOMMU support is there.  It runs Intel Gen12 with the Iris XE, and Intel puts out a paper on how to get PCI-Passthrough working on just such a system (in order to utilize the XE MAX under Linux), so I know the CPU supports it.  But does the mainboard of the laptop do so?  Does the BIOS do so?  Typically this is a setting somewhere that says something like "IOMMU Support".

Can't buy without knowing this for certain and it looks like I have to buy online so can't test at the store.

(p.s. when I bought the Swift 3 it came with Linux installed.  Why can't I find such systems anymore?  My sole criticism.)

(Thread was edited to add model name to the title)

Best Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Yes, the SFX14-41G has AMD's memory mgt module. Factory-installed OS offerings can change without notice, vary regionally & likely aimed a reduced production costs. 

Jack E/NJ

• harrisonjones
    Answer ✓
    Ok thanks.

Answers

• JackE
    Answer ✓
    Yes, the SFX14-41G has AMD's memory mgt module. Factory-installed OS offerings can change without notice, vary regionally & likely aimed a reduced production costs. 

Jack E/NJ

• harrisonjones
    I marked question as answered, but I looked again and isn't the SFX14-41G the Acer Swift X?

I'm talking about the Acer Swift 3X, which is a 
    SF314-510G.

But I'm guessing it's a good sign that it too has the IOMMU setting as they are very similar?
  • JackE
    edited July 2022
    Yes, the SF314-510G also has essentially the same technology. But it's not called an AMD iommu. That's because it's an Intel CPU. Intel calls it VT-d just to be different.  Intel claims their VTD better. AMD claims their IO-MMU is better.  A marketing thing. :) 

Jack E/NJ

• harrisonjones
    Answer ✓
    Ok thanks.
  • harrisonjones
    Forum admins(?) changed the name of the topic to include the wrong model number.  SF314-52 is what I have now.  The question concerns SF314-510G, but it looks like the whole Swift family has the setting I'm looking for.  Thanks to all.