SF514-55T problems with SSDs "No bootable device", SSD does not show on BIOS and on f12 menu

unmercyful
unmercyful Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

edited January 2023 in Swift and Spin Series
First, my Son's laptop(acer SF514-55T) started giving the message "No bootable device", SSD does not show on BIOS and on f12 menu.
I have another laptop, and when using that Same SSD in the other laptop (Lenovo), it works fine.
Sometimes (Rarely) after, moving that SSD to lenovo and back to Acer, it start working again, but at some point I get the "No bootable device again"
Grrr, not sure what the problem could be..
[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• unmercyful

Tinkerer

I did some more tests, I tried the lenovo SSD(Samsung) in the Acer computer, It always shows in the Acer's BIOS, but somehow, windows Installation media cannot see that drive
  • AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 3,755 Pathfinder
    @unmercyful it could be the issue with either the SATA mode or the BIOS.
    you can try to switch the SATA mode to AHCI by
    1. Opening MSConfig, boot tab, and enable safe mode. Then apply.
    2. Go to the BIOS by tapping F2 after you have pressed the power button. Navigate to the main tab and press CTRL + S and the SATA mode or VMD controller shows up. Switch from RST to AHCI or disable Intel VMD controller. Save the setting and restart.
    Once you have restarted and the laptop boots to Windows safe mode, restart again and it should boot into normal Windows.
    Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • unmercyful

Tinkerer

@AnhEZ28 
    Thanks for your reply, CTRL+S does nothing, I dont have a SATA interface, or VMD option, No mention of AHCI or RST that I have seen anywhere
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer
    Yes, your SF514-55T is a new enough design it doesn't have some of the problematic settings from previous generations. I'm guessing there's an issue on the motherboard with that M.2 slot. I'm guessing you are still in warranty? If so go ahead and start a ticket with Acer support. My thought is they'll end up replacing the motherboard for you.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • unmercyful

Tinkerer

@billsey
    Thanks, Unfortunately is not under warranty anymore. I think it might be the motherboard as you suggested, but I am not 100%
    Since windows installation media cannot see any ssd (tried with 2 different ones), also if I use one with a valid operating system from other machine, At startup windows will give the message boot device not accessible.
  • unmercyful

Tinkerer

@billsey
    so the bios can see one of the ssd with windows installed, but I get the boot device not accessible if I try to start windows with that ssd, if I try to install windows (usb installation media ) , when I get to the point to select the sdd, nothing shows for me to select..

• Is the new ssd not showing up here?

Are you sure the vmd controller resource is not showing up for you?

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • unmercyful

Tinkerer

@egydiocoelho
    Yep, no VMD showing , you can the pics here https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1ub6b5sBEHEM0YoESwuKAe77kDMndDUaM?usp=sharing
    The "old" ssd does not show in the bios info tab, the other (new one) I tried shows there, but when trying to  start windows (in the new ssd) I get the message "inaccessible boot drive"  ...etc
  • unmercyful

Tinkerer

@egydiocoelho
    Yep, no VMD showing , you can the pics here https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1ub6b5sBEHEM0YoESwuKAe77kDMndDUaM?usp=sharing
    The "old" ssd does not show in the bios info tab, the other (new one) I tried shows there, but when trying to  start windows (in the new ssd) I get the message "inaccessible boot drive"  ...etc
  • AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 3,755 Pathfinder
    @unmercyful did you try to update the BIOS to version 1.08? 
    Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • billsey
    Does the new drive have a clone of the old one on it? Did any partition change in size during the cloning? Which ones? Is the new drive (I assume that's the one pulled from the Lenovo) setup for Intel RST? If so it won't be recognized and bootable unless the system is also setup for iRST, and I don't believe that's the case with yours. Ignore the 1.08 question above, your pictures show clearly that you are already running that BIOS version.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • What happens when you ctrl+s on the bios main tab? An option called vmd controller should appear.

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • unmercyful

Tinkerer

@billsey
    Thanks for you comments,
    the Lenovo drive was not a clone of the new one, that one is from my laptop, (the problematic Acer computer is my Son's)

I tried something else, I bought a new ssd and installed windows on it (in the acer laptop) it worked for a few days, but today the same message (no bootable device) appeared again! 
    It has to be a hardware problem right? motherboard? I read somewhere that maybe the power supply is faulty and could be damaging the ssds? does anybody know if that can be true?
  • unmercyful

Tinkerer

@egydiocoelho
    Nothing happens when I press ctrl+s. I cannot see the vmd
  • billsey
    Yes, it does sound more like hardware when the same issue appears with a replacement drive installed. It theoretically still could be the drive, but to have two different ones fail the same way points more toward the M.2 slot on the motherboard... I suppose it could still be software with something like a new virus that would be attacking the EFI partition, but I haven't heard of anything like that active in the wild. So, unless he's traipsing around in the dark web I think we can discount that as a possibility.
  • unmercyful

Tinkerer

@egydiocoelho
    Nothing happens when I press ctrl+s. I cannot see the vmd option
  • Can you send a picture of the bios information tab? Also, the service tab shows that this template comes with the vmd controller:

Did you disconnect the lithium battery before installing the new ssd?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• unmercyful

Tinkerer

@egydiocoelho
    Hi, as mentioned before you can see the pics here https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1ub6b5sBEHEM0YoESwuKAe77kDMndDUaM?usp=sharing
    Are you able to access that link?
    there is  no VMD controller option, CTRL+S does not make that option appear.

• unmercyful

Tinkerer

@egydiocoelho
    CORRECTION! after CTRL+S the VMD controller option showed up, I disabled it but nothing changed, BIOS cannot see the new SSD nor the old.