Aspire XC-1760 desktop, adding a second M.2 SSD..? Can anyone guide me on how best to install?

gethen
gethen Member Posts: 3 New User
edited January 2023 in Aspire and Veriton Desktops
I have the new 12th gen Intel versoin of the XC-1760, which has came with a 512Gb SSD. I want to add a second M.2 SSD for additional storage. I can't see a second SSD slot on the motherboard, so I'm guessing I have to use an expansion bay..? Can anyone guide me on how best to install?
[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Best Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    It looks like the XC-1760 models aren't offered in the USA or Canada yet, so I don't have access to the service guides for them. The prior model, XC-1660, has space for only one M.2 NVMe drive. (There are two M.2 slots, but one is dedicated to a WiFi/Bluetooth card). To put a second SSD in you have to use a SATA port from the motherboard. Note that you also have to have a free power connector for the drive, which may or may not be already available. The SATA drives get their power off the motherboard.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • gethen
    Answer ✓
    billsey said:
    It looks like the XC-1760 models aren't offered in the USA or Canada yet, so I don't have access to the service guides for them. The prior model, XC-1660, has space for only one M.2 NVMe drive. (There are two M.2 slots, but one is dedicated to a WiFi/Bluetooth card). To put a second SSD in you have to use a SATA port from the motherboard. Note that you also have to have a free power connector for the drive, which may or may not be already available. The SATA drives get their power off the motherboard.
    Thanks, I’ve ended up installing a WD Blue 2Tb 7200rpm SATA HDD in the expansion bay, pretty straight-forward to install and set up! The NVME M.2 SSD I bought is now in an Orico external SSD enclosure connecting via USB-C, so not as good, but extra portable storage. Thanks again for your help!

Answers

• William_mk2
    William_mk2 ACE Posts: 4,084 Pathfinder
    edited April 2022
    gethen

I would like to provide some additional info which will really help you. 

Kindly go through the details given below.  The info provided below will be very helpful to get the current memory and ssd details of your computer and the options to upgrade it.  

Please visit the website given below.  There is an option to  "start your scan "  and " select your computer " .  Please chose the options and try it.  It will show you the memory and SSD’s details and the best upgrade options for you.. 

It will tell you what you currently have and what you can add for memory and SSD's. 

Note: If you decide to buy you can always compare the prices by visiting other websites or stores and then you can decide.  We are providing the info of scan app just to show you the upgrade options.  You can even download similar scan apps from other memory upgrade websites too.          

To check the compatibility of ram which you can use on your computer.. Get CPUz and check it with that in SPD section of all the RAM and specs that you have, its a quick and simple way to check all OEM specs and what you have in your system. 

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• gethen
    gethen

I would like to provide some additional info which will really help you. 

Kindly go through the details given below.  The info provided below will be very helpful to get the current memory and ssd details of your computer and the options to upgrade it.  

Please visit the website given below.  There is an option to  "start your scan "  and " select your computer " .  Please chose the options and try it.  It will show you the memory and SSD’s details and the best upgrade options for you.. 

It will tell you what you currently have and what you can add for memory and SSD's. 

Note: If you decide to buy you can always compare the prices by visiting other websites or stores and then you can decide.  We are providing the info of scan app just to show you the upgrade options.  You can even download similar scan apps from other memory upgrade websites too.          

To check the compatibility of ram which you can use on your computer.. Get CPUz and check it with that in SPD section of all the RAM and specs that you have, its a quick and simple way to check all OEM specs and what you have in your system. 

Hi, thanks for the feedback, I've identified and already upgraded/added RAM, so now looking for practical solution on how to install a second SSD. Thanks again!
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • gethen
    Answer ✓
    billsey said:
    Thanks, I’ve ended up installing a WD Blue 2Tb 7200rpm SATA HDD in the expansion bay, pretty straight-forward to install and set up! The NVME M.2 SSD I bought is now in an Orico external SSD enclosure connecting via USB-C, so not as good, but extra portable storage. Thanks again for your help!
  • softU
    softU Member Posts: 4 New User

the method described above isnt the best option as it is restricted to SATA speeds. the best option is to get a PCIe expansion card for nvme and put it right on the PCI bus. something like this

these are even better as if you have old ngff sata m.2 around you can stick it in there as a second card. for the ngff slot, power comes off the pci express slot but the data goes through the SATA port to an SATA port on your board

when buying these expansion cards try to get at least a pcie-X4 to max out your speeds. my soladigm nvme runs at up to 3000 MB/sec on the pcieX4 slot. you can also populate the PCIeX1 slot but thats going to be limited to about 900MB/sec