MarkMilep
MarkMilep Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

edited December 2021 in Nitro Gaming
How to connect it

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    (1) Is that a 2.5" laptop or a 3.5" desktop HDD?
    (2) What is your full AN5 model number? For example, AN515-56G?

Jack E/NJ

• MarkMilep

Tinkerer

@JackE 2.5 , AN515-51
  • Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    The connector is underneath the ribbon cable which is connecting the USB board to the mainboard, you can just see it in one of your pics

you need to remove the ribbon cable raefully first then install it
  • JackE
    Where did you get that HDD cable?

Jack E/NJ

• MarkMilep

Tinkerer

@JackEhas been since i bought laptop
  • MarkMilep

Tinkerer

@Leostat how can i connect it rn? its really hard XD
  • Leostat
    You just line it up and plug it in like a little lego, dont have it plugged into the drive when you do it and it will be much easier!
  • MarkMilep

Tinkerer

@Leostat i cant see how can i line i up +this cable is attached to the drive and I can't pull it apart right now

• Leostat
    The drive area should be a bay right?

The service guide doesnt really have anything other than that im afraid! The part with the cable on should be facing away from the main board, so the top of the cable  should be toward the mainboard

I realy wouldnt install it while its connected to the battery , ac , or plugged into the drive!
  • JackE
    >>>Where did you get that cable>>>@JackEhas been since i bought laptop >>>

Yes. But was it in the laptop packaging? The mainboard connector end of the HDD cable must look like the following image or it won't fit.

Jack E/NJ

• MarkMilep

Tinkerer

Something like that? Cabel seems like kinda too big @Leostat

• MarkMilep

Tinkerer

@JackE it was connected in someway before so it must fit
  • JackE
    How do you know it was connected someway before? Did you disconnect it?

Jack E/NJ

• MarkMilep

Tinkerer

@JackE yes, by accident
  • JackE
    It's very hard to do this by accident with the USB ribbon cable installed. Did you try to force the HDD connector off the mainboard without removing the USB ribbon cable? Why did you try to do this!!!?

Jack E/NJ

• MarkMilep

Tinkerer

@JackEI picked up the top of the laptop case where the drive is located and the cable disconnected, I didn't even know where
  • JackE
    Well try to position and press the HDD connector back down on the mainboard as shown in image below. Then slide the USB ribbon back into its mainboard connector. There should be a wedge attached to the USB mainboard connector that you push in to hold the ribbon in the connector.

You still haven't explained why you took the laptop apart like this. This is a very hazardous thing to do for no reason.

Jack E/NJ

• MarkMilep

Tinkerer

@JackE i cant see any tabs to open
  • Leostat
    If it doesn't have tabs it litterly just pops back on ,

Please tell me you have disconnected the battery before doing this! You can fry the laptop if not

The cable is face down as jacke has said it does not go into the same slot as the usb cable but the one next to it 

If you are not sure, or it doesn't seem to be working I would reach out to either a local techi or preferably acer support, ribbon cables and such are pretty sensitive and break easily , and if you try and just force soemthing it will usually end in a broken component! (Which leads to an entire board needing to be replaced)
  • MarkMilep

Tinkerer

@LeostatThanks for your help, ill  take him to the tech tomorrow, for me its impossible to put this cable in