Videocard or hdmi port Acer TC-886

HansNL
HansNL Member Posts: 3 New User
edited December 2021 in Aspire and Veriton Desktops
I wanted to know about a second screen? My wife bought the computer to work with a second screen but when I use the hdmi port the computer cannot find the screen.
Then I took a video card from her old computer and put it in the Acer which worked but after a few months the computer wouldn't turn on (the on/off light kept blinking).

I sent the computer to the web shop where we bought it and they came back with the video card out which I suspect was the cause. But now I would like to know if a second screen can be connected to the hdmi port and then how. Or which video card can go in it We have an Acer TC computer.

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,672 Trailblazer
    edited December 2021 Answer ✓
    Yeah, the way things are setup you should be able to connect any of the ports on the motherboard with monitors, and the Windows-P option should let you choose between different display modes. You likely want extend to have each monitor with it's own desktop with mouse movement between them. If you plug a GPU in, you have to use the ports on the card, the ones on the motherboard will be disabled.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• billsey
    OK, we are going to need a little more info... What computer do you have? :) What processor, memory, storage size and type and graphics does it have? What video ports are included on the back without the card, what brand and model was the card?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • HansNL
    edited December 2021
    Thanks for your response I apologise for the late response but went unexpectedly on holiday the comper is an Acer TC-886 the processor is an
    Intel Core(TM) i7-9700 CPU @ 3.00GHz the memory is 16 Gb the video is an Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630 ram 1Gb.

I don't know the video card that went in because it came from my wife's old computer (a Medion computer).
    On the back of the Acer there are 2 HDMI's and an old output where the monitor is now connected to.

I would like to know if a second screen can be connected to it (and how) or else a (cheap) video card that can go in.

• ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @HansNL

The UHD 630 on-board graphics without an added graphics card will support VGA plus two HDMI ports ( three displays altogether).
    My TC-885-UA91 having the same UHD 630 graphics can support three displays at the same time. 

Have you tried held down the Windows key and pressed "P" at the same time? That should give you the options whether to extend the second monitor or mirror the monitor or disable any one of the monitors ( assuming you take out any additional graphics card and just use the UHD 630 on-board graphics).

If the HDMI ports tested with other monitors and still won't work , then you may have bad HDMI port(s).

• billsey
    edited December 2021 Answer ✓
    Yeah, the way things are setup you should be able to connect any of the ports on the motherboard with monitors, and the Windows-P option should let you choose between different display modes. You likely want extend to have each monitor with it's own desktop with mouse movement between them. If you plug a GPU in, you have to use the ports on the card, the ones on the motherboard will be disabled.
  • HansNL
    ttttt and billsey,

Thanks for the help. Afterwards it turned out that 2 hdmi cables were defective, but now everything works again.

Hans

• ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @HansNL

Hard to believe that two HDMI cables are defective. Chance of winning the lotto, LOL!