Memory Retaining Clip Aspire TC-105

BChat
BChat Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Where can I buy the memory retaining clip for the memory slots on my motherboard?  One of the clips broke and buying a new motherboard or a used one just to get one clip is not an option.  Searching the internet for someone that sells the part got no positive results.

The motherboard is Acer AAHD3-VC with  4 memory slots.

Computer is Aspire TC-105.  HELP.

Thread was edited to add model name to the title

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,939 Trailblazer
    BChat said:

Where can I buy the memory retaining clip for the memory slots on my motherboard?  One of the clips broke and buying a new motherboard or a used one just to get one clip is not an option.  Searching the internet for someone that sells the part got no positive results.

The motherboard is Acer AAHD3-VC with  4 memory slots.

Computer is Aspire TC-105.  HELP.

I’ve never ever seen and/or heard of a problem like yours? You must have rally forced the memory stick wrongly into that slot for the clip to break. You can’t buy these clips individually, my suggestion is for you to buy an old cheap motherboard that has similar memory slot and clips and unclip one of its clips and fit it to your Acer AAHD3-VC mobo. Also isn’t one clip enough for the memory stick to be engaged enough for the memory to work?

• BChat
    BChat Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Thank you for the response but your comments were not exactly helpful.  The memory is seated firmly but still I want to replace the broken clip.  My issue is not unique just odd and it has not affected the operation of my PC.  I have noticed (in various forums) that people often comment but offer no solution.  If you do not know, just say you don't know or do not response.  
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    The clips are not sold separately from the socket, and replacing a socket is a pretty major undertaking. If things are working with just one clip I'd do as StevenGen suggests and just live with it. If you really feel the need to replace the broken on hit up a local technician or perhaps a thrift store to see if you can find a similar part. The clip design isn't always compatible from socket to socket, so be sure to dig up one that matches yours. Here's a link to a single socket for sale on Amazon, there are probably many others there as well as on the various electronic parts venues.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.