Acer Aspire 7 A715-75G-71RD memory and storage capacity

GDM1
GDM1 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited June 2021 in Aspire Laptops
I'm looking to upgrade my old Aspire and am looking at the Aspire 7 A715-75G-71RD model available in Canada.

On the Aspire 7 series page (https://www.acer.com/ac/en/CA/content/series/aspire7) it states: 
"A max of 1TB M.2 PCIe SSD and up to 32GB DDR4 (SO-DIMM) RAM serves your workload, delivering effective power and plenty of storage."

But on the available models the 
A715-75G-71RD (https://www.acer.com/ac/en/CA/content/model/NH.Q99AA.001) and the AMD alternative both have:
Standard memory = 16GB; 
Number of Total Memory Slots = 2
Solid State Drive Configuration = 1 x 512GB; Total Solid State Drive Capacity = 512 GB

So my questions are:

1. for RAM, is the 16GB standard memory a single DIMM, leaving a second DIMM where I can add 16GB additional?

2. To get to 1TB storage, is there an additional SSD/M2 slot available to add a second 512GB drive?  Or is the only way to get to 1TB to remove and replace the standard drive that comes with the laptop?

Thanks for any info you can share!

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,696 Trailblazer
    edited June 2021
    GDM1 said:
    I'm looking to upgrade my old Aspire and am looking at the Aspire 7 A715-75G-71RD model available in Canada.

On the Aspire 7 series page (https://www.acer.com/ac/en/CA/content/series/aspire7) it states: 
    "A max of 1TB M.2 PCIe SSD and up to 32GB DDR4 (SO-DIMM) RAM serves your workload, delivering effective power and plenty of storage."

But on the available models the A715-75G-71RD (https://www.acer.com/ac/en/CA/content/model/NH.Q99AA.001) and the AMD alternative both have:
    Standard memory = 16GB; Number of Total Memory Slots = 2
    Solid State Drive Configuration = 1 x 512GB; Total Solid State Drive Capacity = 512 GB

So my questions are:

1. for RAM, is the 16GB standard memory a single DIMM, leaving a second DIMM where I can add 16GB additional?

2. To get to 1TB storage, is there an additional SSD/M2 slot available to add a second 512GB drive?  Or is the only way to get to 1TB to remove and replace the standard drive that comes with the laptop?

Thanks for any info you can share!

The A715-75G has the following specs that comes from Acer OEM as per its service manual:

1. The memory specs and combinations are as follows:

2. The hard drive specs are as follows; M.2 Interface Number supported is 1 at PCIe Gen3x4 and Fast Data Transfer Rate (Mbits/sec, max) of 1800MB/S  but and within windows the GPT/UEFI and MBR/Legacy formatting hard drive rules apply which is, MBR/Legacy formatting only supports up to 2TB and the GPT/UEFI formatting applies over 2TB capacity drives.

Types of M.2 SSD's fitted by Acer for the 715-75G but higher capcity M.2’s can be fitted (read the MBR and GPT formatting rules in windows) as in GPT/UEFI format you can fit a higer capacity drive than 2TB.

A715-75G bottom cover removed

• GDM1
    GDM1 Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited June 2021
    Hi thanks for all the tech specs.  

So for RAM, clearly the A715-75G can support 32GB of memory. From the photo you sent of the inside, it looks like it has 2 RAM cards installed.  So, if this is the config for "as shipped" with 16GB RAM, that means there is extra cost for me to upgrade to 32GB as I will be tossing the 2 8GB SODIMMs it ships with and have to be buying 2x 16GB SODIMMs to install.  Knowing manufacturers normally like to do things the cheapest way, I was expecting that it would ship with 1x 16GB SODIMM and one empty slot.  Just to confirm that your system - in the photo above - is "as shipped" and and is 16GB RAM??

For SSD, I think the info you provide confirms there is only the 1 M2 slot.  So while you list a 1TB Intel SSD that Acer uses - it seems in Canada the only models available only come with 500GB SSD.  So again, I would have the extra cost of removing the factory SSD and upgrading to a 1TB SSD. I'll keep searching online to see whether I can find a source for the 
    A715-75G shipping with 1TB SSD installed.