Acer Chromebook 315, Linux?

myk
myk Member Posts: 1 New User
I have a Acer Chromebook 315 bought last week and i want to put Kali Linux on it Ik it should be able to work as it is a x64 bit and has a amd also the fact its a linux kernal. Though I'm having alot of trouble trying to replace the chromebook partitions, let alone get to the bios. I'm used to windows not chrome and I've tried several Different methods, it either gives me no reaction at all or it just activates a near useless function. Can someone Please help! btw i have a usb drive with instillation files on it already.

Answers

• Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    What methods have you tried , and what's the near useless function? At a guess you are trying to dual.boot , not boot from inside chromeos

And with the install disk, how did you create it, and is it showing in the boot menu? It will need to be a UEFI installer not a legacy one :)

They arnt really made for dual booting so expect lots of troubleshooting with the kernel of we get it to boot, but I'm more than happy to try and assist if we can get it to boot :D
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi myk,

Chromebook is installed with google designed chrome OS and other OS can't be installed. Kali Linux is not compatible to install.
  • Jlhthe3
    Jlhthe3 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Easwar said:
    Hi myk,

Chromebook is installed with google designed chrome OS and other OS can't be installed. Kali Linux is not compatible 
    So what do you have to do to be able to run Linux tools ect.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,672 Trailblazer
    Google has a process for setting up Linux tools: https://support.google.com/chromebook/answer/9145439?hl=en

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • v0id
    v0id Member Posts: 1 New User
    Easwar said:
    Hi myk,

Chromebook is installed with google designed chrome OS and other OS can't be installed. Kali Linux is not compatible to install.
    Hi, I just registered here to tell you that you are talking out of your ***** and apparently have no idea what you're talking about, and that chromeos is essentially a linux distro, a chromebook with an x86 cpu is no different from any other hardware aside from the fact that most of the hardware is soldered on.
    There are in fact several ways to install other linux distro's, or even windows, on chromebooks, ones that do not involve running them in crouton, but running them on bare metal instead.
    Just because google has made the CHOICE to lock down things like bios, etc, does not mean that it's not compatible.
    There are ways, which you'll have to google yourself since there are inherent risks of bricking your device, so it comes with a risk (again only BECAUSE google has locked them down by choice).
    There are ways to dual boot them, live boot them, or even completely remove chromeos and replace it with something else. It's not impossible.
    So if you don't know what you're talking about, don't talk.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,672 Trailblazer
    Unfortunately anything that carries the risk of a bricked system is likely something to steer well clear of... The Linux tools Google supports are likely the best bet for someone wanting to expand the capability of their Chromebook without running the risk of needing to buy a replacement computer because they tried to get around the design limits.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.