CPU temperature fluctuating and thermal throttling at 60C - Predator PH315-52

Takkokat
Takkokat Member Posts: 3 New User
edited May 2021 in Predator Laptops
Predator PH315-52

I recently repasted my CPU and GPU and since then the CPU has been acting up. Using the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility it shows my temperatures jumping to 90C every few seconds when idle. It also thermal throttles but this is not associated with the random temperature jumps. Sometimes the temps will be regular and it will still throttle. Power limit throttling and EDP limit throttling have also flickering on, but I'm pretty sure these have been like this before repasting. I've been searching the forums for a while now and I've struggled to find an answer. This is my first post here so if any info is needed I'll be happy to provide.

//Edited the content to add model name.

Answers

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 3,755 Pathfinder
    What paste did you use? Also did you also try to clean the fans and vents?
    Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • Takkokat
    AnhEZ28 said:
    What paste did you use? Also did you also try to clean the fans and vents?
    I used Tuniq TX-2 and cleaned the fans/vents. The GPU is working fine after the repaste, it's just the CPU. Now after using the laptop for a while I think the CPU temps have risen compared to before repasting too.
  • AnhEZ28
    I see. Upon my research, that paste is fine. Are the screws on the CPU heatsink tight? (Not over tighten it)
    Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
  • Takkokat
    AnhEZ28 said:
    I see. Upon my research, that paste is fine. Are the screws on the CPU heatsink tight? (Not over tighten it)
    Yeah, I made sure I didn't screw them in too tight. Two of the screws I stripped though so I had to remove them. Would two screws not being there have an impact like this?
  • AnhEZ28
    On the CPU side? Yes, It couldn't make a full contact with the CPU die.