ConceptD | Perry Cooper: Good Habits

Acer-IngridAcer-Ingrid Acer Crew, Knowledge Author Posts: 814 Acer Crew
My most recent passion project, ‘Delectable’, is a looping 3D animation made in partnership with ConceptD which explores rendered textures, layers, and materials.

As a member of a production company who has been working remotely from a different country, I thought the time was right to share my working process to help give pointers to any aspiring or active designers — so I’ll take you through my habits in creating the piece. Hope it helps!

First, before any of the practical work starts, you need to get an idea of what you would like to do. I like to draw inspiration from the world around me, at the moment that’s mostly from home! So, I might see an interesting item, shape or mechanism and think, “that would be great in an animation.” Instagram is also a great source, full of so many great artists of all kinds, not necessarily just in 3D. Sometimes I feel like ‘trying’ to get an idea is more difficult than those moments when an idea just pops into your head!

In fact, Instagram is where a lot of my favourite artists are working currently, and I regularly scour the pages of @therustedpixel (I love his art style), @the_french_monkey (creates great work consistently, always learning new things and sharing with the C4D community), @wannerstedt (beautiful animated loops), @lucaszanotto (lovely whimsical animation loops), and @davidariew (amazing Octane skills, his tutorials got me into using Octane) to name just a few for some guidance in creating ‘Delectable’.

Soon as I have an idea of what I would like to achieve, I then move on to selecting the proper Software to pull it off. The main build of my ‘Delectable’ project was in Maxon’s Cinema 4D. I used an additional plugin called X-Particles by Insydium for creating the liquid simulations. A GPU based render engine called Octane Render was used for final rendering. Post production was done in Adobe After Effects.

The next step from here is finding the proper hardware to get the best out of these programs. I realised I needed more GPU power, so an RTX Studio graphics card was essential. This added power will really help you speed up the rendering times, while allowing you to work on the go (when we can all do that again!) which from my experience is a huge bonus.

Once all the gear is sorted, and I have a clear idea of what I wish to achieve, I begin to focus on what the ideal routine to achieve it all should be. As mentioned in the introduction, I have a production company in London called The Confessional which I started 11 years ago with two other designers. I’ve been working remotely in the US for the last few years, so I was pretty prepared for the current situation!

As I’ve been working remotely in the US for a UK office, routine has become more important than ever. I make sure I’m up around 6am and conference call into the UK office every morning around 7am (12pm their time) to go over the plan for the day. Sometimes we have client work which is split between the team in London and me, so we’ll make sure to do hand overs. I also set aside some time to work on my daily renders for Instagram, and at least once a week a video for my YouTube channel. If I don’t keep a schedule and make lots of notes to myself, I’d be completely overwhelmed!

Working on ‘Delectable’, I decided to break it down into the elements that needed to be created, and then tackled each one at a time. I worked on the interior water and balls first along with the main glass D, then the liquid and the final peel. I like to start each day with something small left to do from the evening before, so I’m not starting a new day with an entirely new problem. I can finish off the previous task, and that warms up my brain to tackle something new!

All this helps me to attain my overall goal, which is to create work that people will hopefully find satisfying to watch and bring a smile to their face. Balancing my personal art projects with client work is only made possible through my above routine.

Beyond this, the most important piece of advice I can give is to keep learning, keep trying new things and not be afraid of failing. When I started out in a studio, I would ask more experienced designers questions all the time. Learning from others along with some friendly competitiveness drives everyone forwards! There is also a glut of great resources online, so for me things like YouTube have been a great source of learning!

I hope all this helps give a general overview and insight into my working habits and the general creative process behind ‘Delectable’. If you want to learn more — like for instance how I work with Cinema 4D — please check-out my YouTube page here!

Follow ConceptD: Twitter | Facebook | Instagram | YouTube | Medium
Follow Perry Cooper: Twitter | FacebookInstagram | YouTube