Acer Predator Helios 500 (PH-517-51-72EC not powering on after repasting

M003T
M003T Member Posts: 4 New User
edited April 2021 in Predator Laptops
Hello,
I wanted to repaste my Acer Predator Helios 500 (PH-517-51-72EC) since it was getting really hot and now out of warranty. I had already sent it back to Acer before to get the fans replaced but it was still getting crazy hot for nothing, CPU throttling on the lightest games, etc ... I guess they didn't put thermal paste again at the time.
So I opened the laptop, removed all the screws, the pins connected, etc ...
I then removed all the thermal paste from the GPU, CPUs and all the things around that had some prior, using paper towels and alcohol (33% isopropyl and 66% ethyl alcohol)
I repasted with Thermal Grizzly thermal paste, just a little bit on everything.
Finally i closed it with a few screws making sure to connect every pins back again to try it but it doesn't power on at all, nothing happens at all when I click the power button.
I don't understand where it could come from since if I damaged something it could at least boot to bios for more info but it seems like it doesn't power on at all.
Thanks in advance for those that can help me, I'm a student so I really need my laptop for school and everything ...

Thread was edited to add model name to the title

Answers

• Did you use ethyl alcohol to clean the motherboard components? In my opinion, you should have used 99% isopropyl alcohol, which contains as little water as possible in the composition. Did you disconnect the battery before performing the procedure and check that the heatsink is not misaligned?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • M003T
    M003T Member Posts: 4 New User
    I did use this alcohol it was the only one I could find but from what i searched before it was supposed to be fine.
    I also did disconnect the battery every time and i made sure everything was placed correctly a second time.
  • check that the heatsink is not misaligned?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi M003T,

Are you getting any light indication when you press the power button?