Linux Installation - boot from external sss - Predator Triton 300

Reventh7
Reventh7 Member Posts: 4 New User
edited April 2021 in Predator Laptops
I have an Acer Predator Triton 300. I also have a 280Gb SSD connected via Docking Station. I want to install Linux Ubuntu and boot them from the external SSD, and boot the Windows OS as normal from the internal drive. Has anyone done it before that can let me know of the steps-the most efficient and safe way? 
Thanks 

//Edited the content to add model name on title.​​

Best Answer

• Reventh7
    Answer ✓
    Gawain said:
    Reventh7 said:
    Gawain said:
    yep, if you're fine going inside your laptop, then keep the two installs totally separate by removing the internal drive, then booting from a usb live stick with your external drive plugged in then installing to that drive - that way the you end up with a /efi partition on the external drive too (along with the boot loader) which means in real terms you should be able to boot from the external drive on just about any computer.   to boot from the external drive you'd use the f12 button on boot (enable it in the bios by first setting an admin pw to allow the f12 on boot option to be toggled, you'll need to do that anyway to boot the ubuntu stick). 
    Hi Gawain,
    Thanks for the answer. My problem is that I used a live USB with Ubuntu, while I already have enabled F12 in bios and when Im rebooting to install from USB it doesnt detect neither the USB or the empty SSD Drive. So the only way to make my BIOS see other boot methods is by removing my internal SSD?
    no, it should detect the live stick (and give you the options for your internal drive), so if its not seeing the stick, something is going on with the stick.  Did you use rufus to make it 'cause it's probably one of the settings on its creation that's a tad off.    Might be worth making again (this quick guide shows all the relevant settings)
    https://ubuntu.com/tutorials/create-a-usb-stick-on-windows#1-overview

the reason to disconnect on the actual install is for the creation of a separate /efi partition on the external drive and making sure the bootloader is on its own etc
    I made it using Universal USB Installer. 
    Never mind mate, thanks for your help. I will try to Install them via VM using Virtual Box, USB 3.0 and an external SSD. If you have any tips on the VM method let me know. Really appreciate all the help.

Answers

• Gawain
    Gawain Member Posts: 373 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    yep, if you're fine going inside your laptop, then keep the two installs totally separate by removing the internal drive, then booting from a usb live stick with your external drive plugged in then installing to that drive - that way the you end up with a /efi partition on the external drive too (along with the boot loader) which means in real terms you should be able to boot from the external drive on just about any computer.   to boot from the external drive you'd use the f12 button on boot (enable it in the bios by first setting an admin pw to allow the f12 on boot option to be toggled, you'll need to do that anyway to boot the ubuntu stick). 
  • Reventh7
    Gawain said:
    Hi Gawain,
    Thanks for the answer. My problem is that I used a live USB with Ubuntu, while I already have enabled F12 in bios and when Im rebooting to install from USB it doesnt detect neither the USB or the empty SSD Drive. So the only way to make my BIOS see other boot methods is by removing my internal SSD?
  • Gawain
    Reventh7 said:
    Gawain said:
    Hi Gawain,
    no, it should detect the live stick (and give you the options for your internal drive), so if its not seeing the stick, something is going on with the stick.  Did you use rufus to make it 'cause it's probably one of the settings on its creation that's a tad off.    Might be worth making again (this quick guide shows all the relevant settings)

the reason to disconnect on the actual install is for the creation of a separate /efi partition on the external drive and making sure the bootloader is on its own etc
  • Reventh7
    Answer ✓
    Gawain said:
    Reventh7 said:
    Gawain said:
    Hi Gawain,

I made it using Universal USB Installer. 
    Never mind mate, thanks for your help. I will try to Install them via VM using Virtual Box, USB 3.0 and an external SSD. If you have any tips on the VM method let me know. Really appreciate all the help.
  • Gawain
    if you're going to do it via VM, i'd be more inclined to put it on the internal drive as i think you've got a 1tb ssd NVMe and 16 or 32gb ram (?).  Purely because the internal drive is quicker than usb 3 (which is fast anyway).   It won't take a large chunk of drive space and you won't need to assign a lot of memory (between 4 and 8 will do it) - obviously 10 will still need a big enough chunk so that'll leave 8+ for 10 when running vm.  Installing a vm is pretty easy just with an .iso.  enjoy.
  • Reventh7
    Gawain said:
    if you're going to do it via VM, i'd be more inclined to put it on the internal drive as i think you've got a 1tb ssd NVMe and 16 or 32gb ram (?).  Purely because the internal drive is quicker than usb 3 (which is fast anyway).   It won't take a large chunk of drive space and you won't need to assign a lot of memory (between 4 and 8 will do it) - obviously 10 will still need a big enough chunk so that'll leave 8+ for 10 when running vm.  Installing a vm is pretty easy just with an .iso.  enjoy.
    Cheers man. Really appreciate all the help! 
This discussion has been closed.