USB3.1-c to HDMI device not recognized SF314-54

michcfr
michcfr Member Posts: 3 New User
edited April 2021 in Swift and Spin Series
Hello

I try to connect to my laptop an adaptater of type: USB3.1-c to HDMI, but Windows do not recognize it and says "unknown peripheral".
Is it because my laptop supports USB3.0 and not USB3.1? or because my computer do not supports this kind of adapter?

My laptop is:
Model Name: SF314-54|Part Number: NX.GXZEF.014

Thread was edited to add model name to the title

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,672 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Yes, you need a USB-C dock instead of the adapter. The docks have more smarts onboard to do the video.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    edited April 2021
    Which usb adapter are you using? The laptop doesn't support native video out over USBc I'm afraid so if it's just a normal usb to hdmi it won't work. Video over USB isn't a standard feature I'm afraid!

To get that, your dongle needs to be a display link adapter. These work but shutteling video data over USB and then decoding it . They are in effect like mini GPU's 

Pluggable and starlink both do em as a generic nobrand recommendation :)
  • michcfr
    edited April 2021
    Thank you Leostat!

The adapter is something like that: https://plugable.com/products/usbc-md103
    Nothing is mentionned about the video over USB-C this is why I thought it was like "miniGPU"...

• Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    Ah sorry ones like that wont work :) it would need to be something like this https://amzn.to/3sxsjY3
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,672 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Yes, you need a USB-C dock instead of the adapter. The docks have more smarts onboard to do the video.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • michcfr
    thank you Leostat, thank you billsey. 
    Now I know :-)
This discussion has been closed.