Acer Aspire5742g cpu replacement

Alikaplan
Alikaplan Member Posts: 5 New User
edited April 2021 in Aspire Laptops

Original Content

Öncelikle iyi günler dilerim. Elimde acer markasının aspire 5742g i3-380m modeli bulunuyor. Ve laptobun işlemcisini değiştirmek istiyorum. Ancak internette tam anlamıyla bir cevap bulabilmiş değilim. Laptopuma i7 işlemcinin hangi modellerini takabilirim. Yardımcı olursanız çok sevinirim. Şimdiden teşekkür ediyorum.

Translated Content

First of all, I wish you a good day. I have the aspire 5742g i3-380m model of the acer brand. And I want to change the processor of the laptop. However, I haven't been able to find an exact answer on the internet. What models of i7 processor can I install on my laptop I would be glad if you help. Thank you in advance.

Regards,
Acer-George

Answers

• Teksal
    Teksal Member Posts: 50 Devotee WiFi Icon
    The topic in English is roughly this:
    I have an Acer Aspire 5742g with i3-380m processor. Can I upgrade it to an i7 processor? If yes, which core i7 can be used on this model?
  • Alikaplan
    Thank you for the correction. But still couldn't find an answer
  • Alikaplan
    First of all, thank you for your answer, my friend. I already have an SSD. However, my processor can be a bottleneck because it has 3m cache. For example, when I open a game, the CPU usage rate can reach 99%. So I was looking for a cpu with 4m cache.
    Thank you for your answers. Have a nice day
  • Teksal
    Teksal Member Posts: 50 Devotee WiFi Icon
    edited April 2021
    As a last note, I specified Westmere-architecture based i7 processors in my response. But later I've noticed that Nehalem-architecture based 1st gen core processors also use Socket G1. Those group of processors are much more powerful than 620m/640m but I don't know if they can be used in place of Westmere (TDP powers are different, for example). Here are the sources:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Core_i7_processors#Mobile_processors

• Alikaplan
    I saw someone wearing 740qm on the internet but I didn't think it could be real
  • Alikaplan
    buy 740qm and do you think. can i change the adapter with 45w
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,922 Trailblazer
    edited April 2021
    Alikaplan said:
    Öncelikle iyi günler dilerim. Elimde acer markasının aspire 5742g i3-380m modeli bulunuyor. Ve laptobun işlemcisini değiştirmek istiyorum. Ancak internette tam anlamıyla bir cevap bulabilmiş değilim. Laptopuma i7 işlemcinin hangi modellerini takabilirim. Yardımcı olursanız çok sevinirim. Şimdiden teşekkür ediyorum.

First, hope that you can translate this fully into Turkish Alikaplan or I see that you do speak English which is great! 

With your Aspire 5742G and with its either NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 420M with 1024 MB or the ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 5470 with 512 MB of dedicated DDR3 VRAM as I don't know what you have? But, your OEM i3-380M “Arrandale” Socket G1/2 core/4 threads/2.533GHz/512KB to 3MB cache and 35 W TPD processor can be upgraded as follows and note, that Acer in those days had its top specification Aspire 5742G model with the i5-580M/Arrandale/Socket G1 processor as their highest spec processor. Do NOT put an i7-740QM Nehalem type processor, its not designed for this motherboard and your Aspire 5742G it WILL NOT WORK, remember this that "Bigger is Not Always Better" you have to match and accomodate the processor to the overall specification of your motherboards chipset, memory specs so that the combination of all those work together the best. 

With my experience in upgrading these older type Aspire laptops, I would NOT go higher than the Intel i7-620M processor which will give you an 18% relative performance increase to your OEM i3-380M which is not much and not the most important update. One of the best upgrades that will increase performance for your money for your Aspire 5742G is a SATA-3GB/sec type SSD 2.5 inch (6.35cm) drive which you have and that is good.

Also increase the memory (RAM) to the fastest recommended speed of DDR3-1333MHz (if you don't have that installed?) as your Aspire 5742G supports DDR-3 memory type for each socket of 2x at 4 GB max per slot and the Aspire 5742G maximum memory total is 8 GB of either memory type DDR3-800MHz or DDR3-1066MHz or the max speed of DDR3-1333Mhz into its 2x slots to give you “Dual-channel DDR3 SDRAM support” which will increase responsiveness and make this laptop a basic platform with Win-10 or 8,or 8.1. This laptop came OEM standard with either Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit or Windows 7 Home Basic 64-bit. 

Also you can change its Atheros HB95/HB97 Wifi only card to a WiFi 2.4G & 3G /4.0 BT type card model "Qualcomm Atheros AR9462-AR5B22" and you an get all drivers from here: Select Qualcomm Atheros wireless driver (ath-drivers.eu) for this Qualcomm card. This is all that you can upgrade and do to this laptop as its very old and its basic specs don't allow a great amount of upgrades. Good luck and hope this helps.