ConceptD | George Stoyanov: Truth and ‘Dare’

Acer-IngridAcer-Ingrid Acer Crew, Knowledge Author Posts: 740 Acer Crew
edited March 15 in What's Happening

The Artist talks us through his creative process behind his most recent ConceptD-doodle.

‘Dare’ was a short 3D animation piece I made with the ConceptD creator line of laptops, to showcase the ConceptD 7 notebook. After its name, I tried to infuse the project with a little bit of mischief as a ‘D’ curls out the air like a smirk and the background sort of winks. This was reflected in the pastel pallet and stark, I guess you could say barefaced, forms I used in creating the ‘D’.

Like all projects, inspiration was the starting point. I tend to find mine on social media, by following really great artists from all over the world. I love to explore the work they do. Sometimes I browse expressly for this purpose, and usually I’ll find something which sparks a whole new train of thought. But other times the inspiration comes when you are not expecting it. For instance, an idea can strike when I’m in a quiet place, or doing something mundane like riding a bike.

For ‘Dare’ with ConceptD, my inspiration actually came from the products themselves. I love the simplicity of the ConceptD creator line — they look nice and clean. So, I decided to create something equally simple — with austere, clean lines but with that little added flair and boldness.

George Stoyanov x ConceptD

The project was created in 3D and, of course, post-production software. Using the right software is always important, but the idea of exactly what you want to visualize comes first. As soon as I’d worked the elements of the machines I wanted to incorporate into my design within the overall theme of it being a ‘Dare’, I got to work on the execution.

3D software was the most critical element in pulling it all off. It allowed me to get in the cheeky little movements, such as the bouncy wave effect at the end, or the glass cylinders I used to roll up and down the flanks of the ‘D’ in a daring, precarious way. The finer details of the shapes and colorings were composited in post-production, where I paid particular attention to getting the pastels right to give the piece a minimalistic, airy effect to match the nonchalance of the theme.

The main challenge in creating ‘Dare’ was getting the movements right and making sure that all the constituent parts connected and interacted with one another smoothly. I was pretty happy with how it came out, but like all creatives, I’m always looking to build on my experiences and grow, and the project allowed me to take another step in that direction.

George Stoyanov x ConceptD

Overall, this #ConceptDo style fit in great with my overall style of working. I really like to explore things. It allowed me the freedom to experiment and find the right style for my expression. As a result, I had a lot of fun making it, which is always important to a designer or creative.

Ultimately, what I have rendered is a conspiracy of supple curves, winks, and smiles, suggesting the D has been up to no good. My hope is that when people see ‘Dare’, they instantly get the playfulness behind it all. I hope the viewer can take a second to see something nice, and enjoy the shapes and colors — and maybe feel provoked into creating something themselves.

Follow ConceptD: Twitter | Facebook | Instagram | YouTube | Medium
Follow George Stoyanov: Behance | Facebook | Instagram