Is there any documentation on jumpers and pins - Aspire XC-703.

Dumi
Dumi Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

Hi.

I own an Aspire XC-703 desktop (Pentium J2900 CPU). I have added an SSD for OS (ADATA 240GB), but plan to keep the HDD as well (for safe, long-term storage). However, the board has 2 SATA ports only, and a Mini PCIe SATA card is out of the question as I have the WiFi card installed there. The only reasonable thing would be to use the HDD and SSD with the SATA ports (thus ensuring higher throughput for them) and move the optical unit to an internal USB port. To do this I would have to either disable something already connected or try to use the only available port. The mainboard has 2x2 USB connectors - Dupont connectors, 2 rows - 5+4 pins each; the black connector supports the pair of USB ports on the front panel while the yellow connector supports the card reader on the 4-pins row, being free on the 5-pins row.

Is that port (5-pins row) powered / enabled so it could be used as such?
Is there any relation between that one and the jumper right next to it?
Is there any technical documentation of this mainboard, describing the connectors and jumpers?

Thanks.

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​//Edited the content to add model name on title.​

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,647 Trailblazer
    There isn't any documentation that we have access to that gives pinouts on those two headers, though I believe they are fairly standard. They are both USB 2.0, so will be somewhat slower than the ODD is now. Why not just move the drive to an external case and use the USB 3.0 connector on the back when you need the drive?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Dumi

Tinkerer

Hi,
    My goal is to keep the machine as a media center / casual usage PC. I need it to be able to play DVDs (so 480Mbps should do it), but also need it to look neat / clean when left near the TV (so nothing extra would hang around; to achieve this I am also using an All-in-One MS wireless keyboard). Worse case scenario, I could connect it to a back USB port and bring that cable back into the case through the other expansion slot (one is used for WiFi antennae, the other is unused), keeping the drive still installed in its original case but with USB 3.0 connectivity. But this is my least desired option.
    Thanks.
  • billsey
    I believe there is only the one USB 3.0 port on that motherboard. You could put a USB 3.x expansion card in to the x16 slot that would give you an internal port, but if you are going to that extent I'd put a SATA card in instead.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Dumi

Tinkerer

My MB only has one MiniPCIe slot, currently used with the WiFi card. I cannot use that slot unless I plan to change the WiFi card as well. No other slot is available.
  • billsey
    I am sorry, you are correct. I'd looked at the image showing the back of the computer and saw the two expansion slots. The motherboard has holes to support a PCIe x1 card, but they are not populated... The miniPCIe slot is WiFi only.
  • Dumi

Tinkerer

OK, just ran some tests with an USB2.0 header and an USB2.0 Slim-SATA adapter on that port: when connected to the 4-pins line of the USB2F1 Dupont plug (basically pins 1-3-5-7), the optical unit is seen by the system properly, but when connected to the 5-pins line (actually the 4 pins that should be used, 2-4-6-8, leaving the pin 10 - the one next to the key, or missing pin 9 - not connected), the optical unit is powered (can eject the tray) but is not seen by the system (meaning it gets power on pins 1 and 4 of the cable, or 2 and 8 of the connector, but no data connection on pins 2 and 3 of the cable, or 4 and 6 of the connector). I rule out the damage from previous usage (as it was no previous usage), so it means it is only for USB power (unless it has to be enabled by jumper TXE1 - photo attached; however, with no proper docume tation I would not try it).
    Either way, there is still hope: a small internal hub could do the trick (external power on pins 2+8, USB connected on pins 1, 3, 5 and 7). Of course, data rates will not be stellar (especially if flows are added), but at least it would support the optical unit for playing normal DVDs without exposing too many wires.
  • billsey
    Most USB headers have +5 and Gnd on 1 and 7, with data - and + on 3 and 5, the second port is the same with 2 & 8 and 4 & 6. Did you try both USB headers?
  • Dumi

Tinkerer

edited March 2021
    On the odd numbers (1-3-5-7) it works flawlessly. Actually there's where the card reader stays usually. On the even numbers (2-4-6-8) I was able only to get power on the drive, but not recognized device, so I doubt the correct functionality of pins 4-6.
    I will give it a try with a powered hub, though, to rule out the insufficient power issue (highly unlikely, since the other port was working, but you never know).
    For now I have disconnected the card reader and enabled the optical drive, and it played flawlessly a DVD.
  • billsey
    Great news! :)
  • Dumi

Tinkerer

Still no luck with powered hub on the other line of pins. But works well with internal hub (powered, obviously). Now - lots of places to expand for not-so-demanding devices (like Bluetooth adapter, maybe pull out some extra brackets for headset, keyboard...). NZXT internal hub (magnetic.)