Switch 7 Keyboard issues ome keys (3 or 4 letters and space bar) wont work 90%

mikeman0919
mikeman0919 Member Posts: 4 New User
edited April 2023 in Switch Series
Anyone have any issues with certain letters not working on keyboard? Bought this switch 7 black edition a couple months ago used in "very good' condition. Worked great until now, some keys (3 or 4 letters and space bar) wont work 90% of the time. Any way to fix the issue? or is there a way to get a new keyboard? Thanks
[Edited the thread to  add  issue detail]

Answers

• christy1
    christy1 Member Posts: 1,619 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    edited February 2021
    mikeman0919
    Hi, 
    is it not working at all or it randomly? try to do a bios default. 
    Turn off the unit->> turn on the unit>> when you see the acer logo,hit f2 repeatedly. >>>Press the F9 key to automatically load the factory default settings. ... >>>Confirm the changes by highlighting OK, then press Enter. ...>>>To save the changes and exit the BIOS Setup utility, press the F10 key.
    Image result for bios default

Also try to press numlock once. remember its a toggle. 

Image result for numlock
    Hope it will fix the issue. Good luck.

Accept if its Helpful.   B)
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    Press NumLk twice if once doesn't do it. They get into a weird numlock mode where the 'numeric keypad' is switched to cursor keys, and the first press gets you to where they do the numbers, a second press gets you to normal.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • mikeman0919
    Neither of those options fixed it unfortunately but thanks for trying to help. 

The buttons that dont work now won't work at all and are as follows  v b space and ' 

It does seem that sometimes v and b will work but others around it won't for a bit? The keyboard seems clean but could it be something under the keys?

I just tried twisting the keyboard a tiny bit everything started working fine? 
  • billsey
    The way these membrane keyboards work if that there are a series of layers under the keyboard, with conductive traces on the layer surface. When you press a key it forces two of the layers to make contact, which tells the system a grid location that gets converted to the key you pressed. If a trace on the layer is bad the keys associated with that trace (typically four of them) don't work. That sounds just like what you are describing. Your best bet is going to be to replace the keyboard, since it's not really feasible to disassemble it. Which language is yours setup for? I can probably look up the Acer part number to help in the search...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • mikeman0919
    The layout is US international from what I can tell. 
  • billsey
    OK, the Acer part number is: NK.I1313.056. Give a search on that a try.
  • mikeman0919
    Thanks for all your help! 
  • billsey
    Let us know how it works out.
  • NiColAndrea
    NiColAndrea Member Posts: 1 New User
    my laptop does not have f1 or f2 or BIOS, so how do I fix my keyboard issues

• billsey
    @NiColAndrea rather than camping out on an old thread, please start a new one with your question. Include your full model number, what you are having trouble with and what you have tried so far. We will get into diagnostics to figure it out from there.