Aspire r13 r7-372T shows no signs of life after thermal paste replacement.

Jazzy707
Jazzy707 Member Posts: 6 New User
edited January 2021 in Aspire Laptops
Hi everyone. 3 days ago i decided to replace thermal paste on my aspire r13. I carefully removed everything without damaging anything and replaced the thermal paste and put everything back to place. I had no troubles doing this and I can troubleshoot some problems on desktop and laptops too. But this time after replacing i tried turning on my laptop but it didn't. No fan spins nothing. It feels like dead. Then i connected my charger thinking that maybe cmos was reseted so maybe that's why it's no working. Even after connecting charger to it it didn't work. Charging led was not turning on too and I could hear some buzzing sound inside and it was from processor side. I really don't know what to do? What could go wrong?
Please note that my country doesn't have any official acer outlet and its its pretty old laptop in a bit rough condition from outside as it was my uncle's laptop which he stopped using and I took it from him. 

I took that to technician in my neighborhood and he told me that its an ic named as NB671GQ. This IC is dead. However, he said that he couldn't find this IC but he tried replacing some other Ic with same specifications. Now he told me that board can not be repaired as it is dead.  I real don't trust him. I need some guide and advices from experts here. I'll be really happy if someone helps me as I have loads of memories with this little guy. I really love him a lot. 

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,462 Trailblazer
    Did you disconnect the battery pack & charger, and connect it to an antistatic bracelet before you attempted to re-paste?  The chip is a very commonly used as a current regulator and widely available worldwide

What is your full R13 model number? For example, R3-131T??? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Jazzy707
    I don't exactly remember the model but it was something r7-372T. It was equiped with i7 6500U, 8gb LPDDR3, and 256gb ssd. It had two slots for nvme ssd. No HDD supported there.

When i Opened the back of my laptop the first thing i removed was battery connector. After that I removed other cables. I didn't connect anything to anti static bracelet.
  • JackE
    First, I think you must get the machine back into your possession before we can suggest and test any possible solutions. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Jazzy707
    Its Sunday here so i will get it on Monday and thanks anyways for helping now
  • Jazzy707
    Finally got my hands on laptop. Now what should i do now. Can u guide me
  • JackE
    Re-trace your steps all the way back to re-pasting. In other words, do the re-paste again. The two most important steps before doing anything inside the laptop is that both the charger AND battery pack must  be removed/disconnected and wear an anti-static wrist strap (see my homemade strap below) with clip attached to a ground point on mainboard. Look for any signs of brownish heat discoloration on the mainboard or integrated circuit chips particularly the NB671GQ chip (see earlier link to this chip to see what it looks like). Check for any spring-loaded switches near the RAM socket. Some mainboards have two switches. One disconnects power through a reset pinhole in the bottom cover. The other is a safety interlock switch that cuts all power when the bottom cover is removed or misaligned or bottom cover not pressing hard enough against this switch to keep it on. You might have to tape a spacer to this switch or bottom cover so it presses harder when assembled. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Jazzy707
    Alright so i tried repasting again. Repeated everything as you instructed. There was one reset pin and i i tried that too but nothing worked. 
    What about that buzzing sound when i connected the charger? Do you have any idea what that could be? 

One more thing that i noticed that heat sink have 4 screws and on the screw holes 1,2,3,4 numbers are engraved adjacently.  Could that be problem? Maybe less tighten screws?
  • JackE
    The 4 screws must all be the same length. If a screw used was too long, it could've damaged the mainboard. If the buzzing sound is coming from the laptop, it  is likely AC hum from the mains. There could also be a problem with the charger. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ