Computer will not boot if there are any external USB hard drives connected Acer Aspire ATC-280-EB11

Stevemopolis
Stevemopolis Member Posts: 4 New User
edited March 1 in 2020 Archives
My Acer Aspire ATC-280-EB11 desktop computer will not boot if there are any external USB hard drives connected.  I have to shut the external drives off or unplug the cables whenever I have to reboot the computer.  I've gone into the BIOS setup and tried both enabling and disabling Legacy USB support but that does not solve the problem.  It is currently enables.  I had the same problem with my last Acer desktop computer but never did resolve it.  When I try to boot the computer with an external drive connected the BIOS self test stalls when it gets to the hard drives and never recovers.  Is there a fix for this other than shutting of the external drives whenever I need to restart the computer?

Answers

• CHEleg3
    CHEleg3 Member Posts: 1 New User
    My acer aspire tc 280 is stuck on the acer logo when you start it up but there is no loading circle and only setup.
    If i leave it to load it cuts to a different screen where it says select boot menu and if i press something it ll repeat the sentence again and again etc.
    This has happened before and was able to fix it but that was a while back and now im stuck on it again.
    Does someone know how to fix this because when i looked at other forums they have different issues to mine with the boot problem
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer
    @CHEleg3 please start a new thread (with the Ask a Question button) for your issue. It's not the same as what the original post is about. Make sure to include the full model number (TC-280-xxxx), the description of what you're seeing and what you have tried so far. It sounds like you might be having issues with the drive, so let us know what size and type of drive is in there.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.