Laptop won't turn on PH-513-72VL

ArchDevil
ArchDevil Member Posts: 50 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
So I've opened the laptop bottom cover to clean the fans from dust, after cleaning i put it back and suddenly laptop won't turn on. Plugged or unplugged, the battery light turns on when i plug the power but it still won't turn on. I've took the laptop apart to change thermal paste and pads several times and everything worked. This time i just opened the cover to clean the fans and that happened. I know there is some power switch or something on the motherboard that maybe need to check? 
Also everything seems to be connected as i did not touch anything except just cleaning the fans.
My model is PH-513-72VL (2019).
Here's the picture of the connections:

This thread is edited to add model name to the title

Answers

• PuffyBuffalo
    PuffyBuffalo Member Posts: 1 New User
    I know the photo I provide below will be different as I own the older model of your laptop. Stay with me here. 

I'm breaking my head searching the acer community and all of google as to why I have issues powering the laptop on, as well as why my shift key chooses to stop working randomly.
    After taking out the battery and checking ALL the connectors I have found the issue.

Check out that ribbon connector covered in yellow tape with a red mark on it.
    This is the keyboard connection to the motherboard. 

On the Predator Helios 300 PH317 - 52 and all models that fall into this "style" of predator notebooks, the keyboard ribbon connector is NOT directly connected to the motherboard, and instead goes into a small "offset" adapter which helps the main ribbon cable align into the motherboard connection without damaging the main cable.

My adapter end of the connection was "tilted" halfway out and not "snapped tight" into it's connection on the m-board.

Halfway out means some keys work.. some keys don't, with the power key unfortunately being affected as well. 

This is such a silly defect and I guarantee that half the Helios 300 users out there are affected by it. 

I cannot guarantee that you have the same issue, but considering that you have the 2019 model of my 2018 Notebook, and considering that I have not yet found this answer in the community, it could have continued as a possible defect into your year model. 

There is only one way to turn on a laptop, and that is with the power key. If you see your laptop charging light, and it has never been opened for repair or had any damage, then taking a look at the keyboard cable connection would be the first step to check.

Hey you Acer engineers! Read this! Pass this on! Quality control is tough.. but this is just plain stupid. 

Also.. as a tip.. ribbon end connections make contact with the female connection by a "small sliding wedge" underneath the ribbon ( at least this one did ).
    The best way to make sure the connector stays tight in there, is to first put the ribbon all the way into the female with the wedge completely out, and then jam the wedge in until you not only hear a click, but also tug gently on the cable to make sure you jammed it well. 

Good luck guys!

• ArchDevil
    ArchDevil Member Posts: 50 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    I know the photo I provide below will be different as I own the older model of your laptop. Stay with me here. 

I'm breaking my head searching the acer community and all of google as to why I have issues powering the laptop on, as well as why my shift key chooses to stop working randomly.
    After taking out the battery and checking ALL the connectors I have found the issue.

Check out that ribbon connector covered in yellow tape with a red mark on it.
    This is the keyboard connection to the motherboard. 

On the Predator Helios 300 PH317 - 52 and all models that fall into this "style" of predator notebooks, the keyboard ribbon connector is NOT directly connected to the motherboard, and instead goes into a small "offset" adapter which helps the main ribbon cable align into the motherboard connection without damaging the main cable.

My adapter end of the connection was "tilted" halfway out and not "snapped tight" into it's connection on the m-board.

Halfway out means some keys work.. some keys don't, with the power key unfortunately being affected as well. 

This is such a silly defect and I guarantee that half the Helios 300 users out there are affected by it. 

I cannot guarantee that you have the same issue, but considering that you have the 2019 model of my 2018 Notebook, and considering that I have not yet found this answer in the community, it could have continued as a possible defect into your year model. 

There is only one way to turn on a laptop, and that is with the power key. If you see your laptop charging light, and it has never been opened for repair or had any damage, then taking a look at the keyboard cable connection would be the first step to check.

Hey you Acer engineers! Read this! Pass this on! Quality control is tough.. but this is just plain stupid. 

Also.. as a tip.. ribbon end connections make contact with the female connection by a "small sliding wedge" underneath the ribbon ( at least this one did ).
    The best way to make sure the connector stays tight in there, is to first put the ribbon all the way into the female with the wedge completely out, and then jam the wedge in until you not only hear a click, but also tug gently on the cable to make sure you jammed it well. 

Good luck guys!

Tried reconnecting the keyboard cable and it seems that it's not it.