High CPU clockspeed while idling but instantly low after launching game aspire 5

2»

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,450 Trailblazer
    Something in the background is causing excessive CPU usage and tripping turbo at idle when it should be hovering around 5% or less at base frequency. Try disabling one startup at a time and reboot to see which one might be causing this. I'd probably start with Steam bootstrapper. https://appuals.com/how-to-fix-the-steam-client-bootstrapper-high-cpu-problem-on-windows/ Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• DrieHarry
    DrieHarry Member Posts: 3 New User
    edited November 2020
    Try update the bios from acer official website it works for me without any 3rd apps, no more fps drop, but i think the cpu problem still persist, bcause it only run on max1.2 ghz when playing games,,
  • JackE

Thanks for report. What model do you have? Did you have turbo mode at idle too? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Bloomer
    Bloomer Member Posts: 35 Troubleshooter
    I give it a try later 
  • DrieHarry
    DrieHarry Member Posts: 3 New User
    edited November 2020
    JackE said:

Thanks for report. What model do you have? Did you have turbo mode at idle too? Jack E/NJ

Yes turbo mode is activated when idle and running at base clock (1.2ghz) when playing games, my laptop is the same as bloomer (A514-53G) Since the bios update only cpu intensive games will drop huge fps every 5-8s, 
  • JackE
    At this point all I can suggest is to keep checking the ACER download site for new BIOS firmware because I suspect the v1.11 doesn't address the problem yet. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Bloomer
    Answer ✓
    Hello guys been a while and here i am coming back with solution (at least it works for me)
    *Note that this will void your warranty but its a small price for fps
    1.Download this 2 apps : 1.Asus GPU tweak 2.Throttlestop
    2.in asus gpu tweak only change the temp limit for my laptop it was factory set to 71 celcius so if your laptop go beyond 71 the gpu will reduce its workload to cool down absolute disaster for fps
    3.in throttle stop im gonna leave this few image just set it just like i did

4. Hit the FIVR setting in throttlestop and set for the CPU core offset voltage to -125 and CPU cache should be the same and for the intel GPU set it around -100 for offset voltage and on the right side tick the disable and lock power limit

5.Hit the TPL setting and change the turbo boost power limits to 45 

6.It should be done by now and dont forget to turn on the throttle stop as you can see in the first pic at the bottom side make sure it shows turn off(it means u already hit turn on)

*So all of that just adjusting the limit that was factory set to be ridiculously low in this specific model
    *also note that throttlestop need to be launch manually after reboot or you can watch youtube videos on how to make it automatically start
  • unclewebb
    unclewebb Member Posts: 26 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Your screenshot shows that you have Speed Shift EPP checked on the main ThrottleStop screen but your BIOS did not enable Speed Shift. That means your EPP setting is not doing anything. You have to first check Speed Shift in the TPL window to enable it.

Your offset voltage setting is also not doing anything. If you look at the top of the FIVR window it says, FIVR Control - Locked. Guess what that means? The BIOS has locked out CPU voltage control so your voltage request in ThrottleStop is being ignored. Look at the monitoring table in the top right corner. It shows an Offset of +0.0000. Your CPU is at its default voltage.

• Bloomer
    unclewebb said:
    Your screenshot shows that you have Speed Shift EPP checked on the main ThrottleStop screen but your BIOS did not enable Speed Shift. That means your EPP setting is not doing anything. You have to first check Speed Shift in the TPL window to enable it.

Your offset voltage setting is also not doing anything. If you look at the top of the FIVR window it says, FIVR Control - Locked. Guess what that means? The BIOS has locked out CPU voltage control so your voltage request in ThrottleStop is being ignored. Look at the monitoring table in the top right corner. It shows an Offset of +0.0000. Your CPU is at its default voltage.

yeah thats also right but among the setting i did at least lift up some of the limit make it more playable