Predator PH315-52: Black screen only when playing games

Options
MahNamJaff
MahNamJaff Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hello so basically in earlier 2019 all my games worked fine I never had any black screens and game crashes also the audio started to stutter. However, just about 2 months ago I started having this issue. Also its not only one game because all my games have the same issue. These are the solutions I have already tried: Downloading the older drivers off the Acer website and doing a clean install of nvidia drivers, Monitored temps and they are fine. I have not tried using a DDU to nuke the display drivers. I also have not tried reverting to an older Windows 10 version. This issue only happens in games anything else like using the web and writing essays works fine. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Model Name: Predator PH315-52.
Part Number: NHQ5MAA001

[Thread edited title to add the product name]

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Options
    Sounds like the nvidia adapter isn't working. Too bad you didn't check for an automatic Win10 restore point 2 months ago. It's probably been deleted by now. Open ControlPanel. Search 'restore point'. Click 'create a restore point'. In the box that pops up, if SystemProtection was turned on, click on the SystemRestore button to see if the restore point is still there with a date stamp that coincides with when the issue started. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• MahNamJaff

Tinkerer

Options

JackE said:
    Sounds like the nvidia adapter isn't working. Too bad you didn't check for an automatic Win10 restore point 2 months ago. It's probably been deleted by now. Open ControlPanel. Search 'restore point'. Click 'create a restore point'. In the box that pops up, if SystemProtection was turned on, click on the SystemRestore button to see if the restore point is still there with a date stamp that coincides with when the issue started. Jack E/NJ
    Okay so basically I don't have a restore point. What would be the next step you would advise?
  • JackE
    Options
    Open DeviceManager. Click on the display adapters folder. Post a screenshot if possible. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• MahNamJaff

Tinkerer

Options
    JackE said:
    Open DeviceManager. Click on the display adapters folder. Post a screenshot if possible. Jack E/NJ

• JackE
    Options
    Hardware seems OK. Probably one of those errant Win10 updates. Try this. Download and install iobit's DriverBooster freeware to see if it picks up any newer drivers on line. Also, press WIN+R. Enter "msinfo32". Please post screenshot of result. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder
    Options
    @MahNamJaff   I have to agree with @JackE it's most likely the windows updates that messed up everything as usual and my advice if it's working disable them from updating the drivers and firmware or completely worst case backup everything you need and perform a stock recovery clean install ALT +F10 on boot good luck 👍

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/  

• MahNamJaff

Tinkerer

Options
    xapim said:
    @MahNamJaff   I have to agree with @JackE it's most likely the windows updates that messed up everything as usual and my advice if it's working disable them from updating the drivers and firmware or completely worst case backup everything you need and perform a stock recovery clean install ALT +F10 on boot good luck 👍

Okay so yes. Sorry for late response. I reset my entire laptop to factory default and I took my laptop to a laptop shop and got the thermal paste repasted because I thought it was high temps. After all of that the problem still is here. I was able to get a recording of what happens. Also after it turns black it puts me at my home screen and closes rocket league. https://kapwi.ng/c/wtOT99Dm
  • MahNamJaff

Tinkerer

Options
    JackE said:
    Hardware seems OK. Probably one of those errant Win10 updates. Try this. Download and install iobit's DriverBooster freeware to see if it picks up any newer drivers on line. Also, press WIN+R. Enter "msinfo32". Please post screenshot of result. Jack E/NJ
    Okay sorry for late response. I had it pick up new drivers and problem is still here. Here is the msinfo32 screenshot.

• JackE
    Options
    After resetting laptop, did you make sure System Protection was turned on in Control Panel restore point app? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• MahNamJaff

Tinkerer

Options
    JackE said:
    After resetting laptop, did you make sure System Protection was turned on in Control Panel restore point app? Jack E/NJ
    I don’t think I did. In order to better help explain what my issue is this video shows what happens in any game https://kapwi.ng/c/wtOT99Dm
    (Also after the stuttering sound and black screen it puts me at the home screen and closes the game.)
  • JackE
    Options
    Open Control Panel. Search 'restore point'. Click 'create a  restore point' in left pane. If System Protection was enabled in the box that pops up, click the System Restore button. Click next. Do you see any automatic restore points with date  stamps that are immediately after you reset your laptop? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• MahNamJaff

Tinkerer

edited December 2020
    Options
    JackE said:
    Open Control Panel. Search 'restore point'. Click 'create a  restore point' in left pane. If System Protection was enabled in the box that pops up, click the System Restore button. Click next. Do you see any automatic restore points with date  stamps that are immediately after you reset your laptop? Jack E/NJ

Okay yes I see two options: Recommended restore that says Description: Install: Installed DirectX and Choose a different restore point. I also see a Blue underlined words that say: Scan for affected programs.

What should I do next?
  • JackE
    Options
    Try the scan and see if any results seem to be related to the issue. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• MahNamJaff

Tinkerer

Options
    JackE said:
    Try the scan and see if any results seem to be related to the issue. Jack E/NJ
    I scanned and it says this
  • JackE
    Options
    Unless you can find earlier restore points than Dec 5th, I don't think it will make a difference. The problem seemed to start sometime in Sept as you claim in your first post. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ