NEW bios options appear after system crash! Overclocking, TDP, XMP! (???) - Nitro5 AN515-53-592T

Options
n00bE
n00bE Member Posts: 4 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
SO get this: my nitro crashed today - the big one where screen freezes and laptop emits a LOUD & sustained buzzing sound. No BSOD or error code either; only way to stop was holding power button for hard reset.

Figured its time to un+install graphics driver & wireless driver (AGAIN) but as soon as the laptop restarted something told me to launch bios and reset to default. It's all default anyways because as many Acer owners know there's hardly anything to select and adjust in these bios to begin with! lol

But get this: i'm in bios and scrolling to the right to reset/exit and I get to this tab in the middle, can't remember if it was "advanced" or a completely new tab, but I stop at this tab and out of nowhere there is now a TON of selectable options listed. I'm talking about a page wroth of options which were all selectable, and when I clicked enter it would open up another page some with DOZENS of even more options to toggle. I WISH I took a pic with my camera because I noticed a selection mentioning overclock unlock, a page that listed all fan trip settings (what temps fan 1 and fan 2 start, what fan speed % they run at), TDP voltages, I even saw the elusive XMP setting!!!

As fascinated as I was I didn't want to start screwing around with these yet before doing more research. I did reset bios default and restart. I then ran windows start repair. Did some driver checking. I've since gone back into bios and not surprisingly all those options are gone and its just the familiar bare bones bios. Maybe it was for the best, but I'm wondering if the system crash somehow opened up these expanded setting in the bios? Also wondering how long it would have lasted (meaning if I had in fact adjusted some settings, eventually shut down laptop and restarted again, would the same expanded bios menu have come up?)

I've only ever had 2 maybe 3 of these big BZZZZZing crashes but if/when it happens again I'm going to check bios straight away to see if the menu looks different.

IF anyone else ever experiences a freeze crash like this where the only way to make it stop is a hard reset, once your laptop restarts go straight into bios and see if your menu looks different! Then come back here and post/share.

For reference my laptop is an Acer Nitro5 AN515-53-592T
I have the latest v1.28 bios installed
I'm running a -0.1553 undervolt (core & cache) and typically run with turbo boost off via ThrottleStop 9.2

Answers

• batmalin
    batmalin Member Posts: 4,231 Guru
    edited October 2020
    Options
    This is the full BIOS menu which you saw, there should be key combiination to enable it but Acer does not share it. You had a BIOS bug/glitch and saw what Acer didn`t want you to see as the global strategy is not to have a full controll your own product... 
    Please click "Yes" if I have answered your question.
    Userbench: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/31177158

• n00bE
    Options
    batmalin said:
    This is the full BIOS menu which you saw, there should be key combiination to enable it but Acer does not share it. You had a BIOS bug/glitch and saw what Acer didn`t want you to see as the global strategy is not to have a full controll your own product... 
    Is there any way to permanently expand the bios options?
    How do I find this "key combination" and where to input it to enable expanded bios?

There was a TON of features to play with. 
  • batmalin
    Options
    Nobody except Acer knows the combination...

• n00bE
    Options
    batmalin said:
    Nobody except Acer knows the combination...
    What about this - someone in an older thread on this forum mentioned this is how you enable expanded or advanced bios features:

"...when you go into the bios using F2, the F12 option will be greyed out.  To enable this, you'll have to set a supervisor/admin password in the bios and that'll make the F12 option available to be "enabled"..."

Does enabling F12 option give you advanced bios options?
  • batmalin
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Nope, F12 is the boot menu.