Strange startup problem - Aspire 3 315-21

Foz682
Foz682 Member Posts: 4 New User
edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hey all,
Have an Aspire 3 315-21 laptop. 
We bought this laptop about a year ago, it was a return that was supposedly working fine. The manufacturer warranty is out, but still has store repair warranty. 

It worked great for a few months then it decided to not power up sometimes. When plugged in the blue light is on, when not plugged it the orange light blinks. 

The strange part it that it would startup and work with no trouble at all if it is somewhere other than our house.....if my wife or daughter took it to work it would fire right up. No way no how will it startup in our house...even fully charged. No response from power button or keyboard at all. Tried pretty much everything I can find online...pressed the button on the bottom with paperclip, pressed other keys first, name it tried it. 
Now it almost never turns on, anywhere. 
We had taken it back to the store for repair, but guess what? Couldn't replicate the problem and told us to remember to keep it charged....😠   
I've read that these may have faulty keyboard problems, maybe so?  
I figure it's either the keyboard or hinge switch not telling it that it's open.
Sorry for the long post, any help would be appreciated 
Thanks.  

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    >>>It worked great for a few months then it decided to not power up sometimes. When plugged in the blue light is on, when not plugged it the orange light blinks. >>>

If this is the blinking orange power LED, then the laptop is in a standby state --- sleep or hibernate --- that sometimes won't wake up or respond. If this is the blinking orange battery charge state, then the battery has an issue. If the former, open Control Panel if/when you can get it to turn on and boot. Search 'button'. Click 'change what the power buttons do' in left pane. Click 'change setttings that are currently unavailable'. Scroll down and uncheck the box for fast startup. Then shutdown Windows normally. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Foz682
     Thanks for the response,
    I can confirm it is the power indicator light that is blinking(looks a bit like a light bulb?) Not the battery light, the battery light turns blue when plugged in. 
    Now just to get it to turn on...
  • JackE
    >>>...pressed the button on the bottom with paperclip>>>

Press and hold power button till the power LED completely shuts off, no blinking, nothing. About 5 seconds. Then remove charger. Then re-insert the paperclip while pressing/holding the power button for about 60 seconds. Then plug the charger back in. Try to turn it on again. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Foz682
    JackE said:
    >>>...pressed the button on the bottom with paperclip>>>

Press and hold power button till the power LED completely shuts off, no blinking, nothing. About 5 seconds. Then remove charger. Then re-insert the paperclip while pressing/holding the power button for about 60 seconds. Then plug the charger back in. Try to turn it on again. Jack E/NJ

Thanks. 
    Did just what you said, orange light went out, then nothing....blue light came on when plugged in, left plugged in for days trying to start it up occasionally. Had decided a couple of days ago that I would take it to the store for warranty next week(2 hours drive to the store). 
    Then, yesterday my 7 yr old son flips it open presses the button and on it comes....asked him what he did different!?! 
    His response..."I used my magic fingers" ...
    No need to take it to the store now. I did turn off the fast start-up hopefully problem is gone, but have my doubts...
    Thanks again
  • JackE
    Good luck. Magic happens.   :)   Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Foz682
    So.... It's right back to doing what it was before. Not waking from standby. It worked good for the last week but was plugged in and not allowed to go into standby....
    Did notice something else, I moved it gently while unplugged, on and open a couple of times and the screen would blink and sometimes shut off, wouldn't come back unless I pressed a key... Which I did right away. 

• JackE
    >>>wouldn't come back unless I pressed a key...  >>>

My laptops occasionally do the same thing. Pressing a key like the spacebar usually works. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ