RAM UPGRADE FROM 8GB TO 16GB aspire 3 a315-23 how much will it costs when upgrade

Jomari
Jomari Member Posts: 1 New User
edited January 2023 in Aspire Laptops
hey guys im using aspire 3 a315-23 how much will it costs when upgrading from 8gb to 16gb and what will be the advantage of upgrading
[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    With 4GB non-replaceable RAM soldered on the mainboard plus a 4GB replaceable RAM on the mainboard, you can upgrade from 8GB  to only 12GB max  by replacing the 4GB replaceable module with an 8GB replaceable module. Price about $30. But only a very small, hardly noticeable, advantage for most applications and programs.   https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/acer/aspire-a315-23   Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Cheelm
    Cheelm Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hi,

I am in a similar situation and I wondered why it isnt possible to upgrade for example with a 16gb single rank ram, to get a total of 20.
  • JackE
    It might be possible. But the specsheet indicates 12GB max. You'd just have to try a 16GB module to find out. Let us know if it works.

Jack E/NJ

• Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi Cheelm,

May I know the full model name of your unit.

• JackE
    It might be possible. But the specsheet indicates 12GB max. You'd just have to try a 16GB module to find out. Let us know if it works.
    Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Gembiak
    Gembiak Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited December 2022

This is how the 16GB memory module works, I checked the brand DDR4 Crucial CT16G4SFRA32A 16GB RAM. I tested the memory and it works without errors.

I also replaced the m.2 ssd with a Western Digital SN850X 1TB M.2 PCIe WDS100T2X0E SSD. And it works great, but the Dashboard program for WD drives shows that the interface speed on the board is Generation 1, and the drive is Generation 2. I installed the drivers for the amd_chipset_software_4.11.15.342 motherboard and jumped to the speed of the Generation 4 interface. The read value improved by 700mb / s according to CrystalDiskMark 8, from 3000 mb / s to 3700 mb / s. There's nothing else you can squeeze out of this laptop.

• JackE
    Thanks for the report.

Jack E/NJ

• ThomasBrown
    ThomasBrown Member Posts: 1 New User

I was wondering why it isn't feasible to upgrade, say, to a 16GB single rank ram to achieve a total of 20 because I'm in a similar situation.

• JackE

ThomasBrown

It might work due to unannounced production changes that might be made since the original specs were released. You just have to try it and see.

Jack E/NJ