Aspire 5 A515-43-R19L Battery

Steve105
Steve105 Member Posts: 6 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
I'm considering buying the Aspire 5 and wanted to ask about the battery.   How many hours is expected on a full charge with basic non-gaming use? 

I see some posts here about the battery.  Is there a problem with Acer Aspire batteries?  Not charging to a full 100%?  In my research, this isn't the only place I've seen this issue.  So is this or any other battery issue - such as only getting about 3-4 hours after a full charge with non-gaming use - common?

Thanks.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,444 Trailblazer
    There are dozens of A5 models. Which one are you looking at? Many factors besides gaming can have a huge affect on battery life. Screen brightness, process and programs left open, number of browser tabs, antivirus and other tasks left running in the background, all can adversely affect battery life, not just gaming.  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Steve105
    I'm looking at the Aspire 5- A515.   Non-gamer.   And I'd probably have the brightness up all the way.

I'm just wondering how many hours I'd get.  I've heard good (9) and bad (3). So I'd like to know.  
    Also if any of the battery issues I'm hearing about are common.

• JackE
    Sorry there's still over a dozen A515 models. A515-4xx A515-5xx. Do you have an advertisement I can check?  I don't know what battery issues you're referring to? Swelling? Fires? Batteries are usually not made by ACER but supplied by Sony, Panasonic, LiteOn, Samsung, etc who often use no-label battery manufacturers  and affix their own labels. That's the nature of today's Li ion battery business. As a  general rule of thumb, if an advertising claim is made "up to X hours of battery life'  don't expect much more than X/2 hours in real-life moderate use. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Niscal
    Niscal Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

I have A515-43-R19L and it advertised 7 hours of battery life. I only achieved this results by using 20-30% brightness and battery saver mode. On regular daily usage it can make only 4 hours maybe less. 

• JackE
    7/2 = 3.5 hours. You're battery is doing well if you get 4 hours in normal use. It might improve with cycling but not by much. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JackE
    As a  general rule of thumb, if an advertising claim is made "up to 8 hours of battery life'  don't expect much more than 4 hours in real-life moderate use with 100% screen brightness. Dropping brightness to about 75% might give you 5 hours. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Steve105
    Nascal,  four hours doesn't seem like much if you've toned down the screen so much.   Are you playing energy intensive games?   

I've been looking at a lot of these laptops and the display brightness has to be turned up all the way to 100%, at least for me.  Anything less is too dark.
  • JackE
    Niscal said he got 7 hours with screen toned down to 20-30% in battery saver mode, not 4 hours. This is typical for laptops. Perhaps you should also consider a PowerOak portable battery extender/charger with any laptop you decide to buy. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Steve105
    My mistake.  Thanks for the help.  
  • Niscal
    Niscal Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    7/2 = 3.5 hours. You're battery is doing well if you get 4 hours in normal use. It might improve with cycling but not by much. Jack E/NJ

Yes, but you really need to know software and hardware to keep it going like that. If my wife will use this laptop she will drain it in 1.5 hours. ( 20 tabs open in the browser,Netflix on pause, music on full volume, YouTube buffering in another browser, windows update rolling, 100% brightness and etc. Plus it’s on the bed blocking the vents and laptop is trying to cool itself by spinning the fun at max possible rpm.