High temperatures possibly due to clogged up vents and fans Helios 300

Sumanth
Sumanth Member Posts: 103 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
My Acer predator Helios 300 is a 2019 model with an i5 9300H and a GTX 1660Ti.
It's been 11 months since I've bought this laptop.
I use it very extensively both for gaming and video editing several hours a day.
Over the past months, I've seen a significant rise in temperatures. 
CPU peaks at 95 C and settles at around 92 C. 
GPU gets stuck at 87 C which is it's thermal limit.
I've noticed a ton of dust being clogged and it's really really really dirty, I keep my work area very clean. But as I travel alot and live in a dusty + humid region, I guess I can't totally avoid this.
My product is still under warranty and I want to know if Acer would clean the fans and maybe even repaste the thermal compound for me?
Would they take extra charge? If yes, then how much? (Rough estimate)
I've already tried all other cooling solutions btw, none of them seem to work.

Best Answer

• 2root2
    2root2 Member Posts: 31 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    depends on the service center you visit , but this much cleaning can be done by you as well , a little vaccum blow and some wiping will do the job . as long as you dont break warranty seals the warranty will not be void .
    1) the CPU temp rise can also be because of windows , i was facing a similar issue since jan 2020 .
    fixed it last night after a restore .

if you still want a professional to do the cleaning make sure you are present during it, as far as indian service centers go . they tend to break more than they fix . keep an eye on them and ask them to take their time and go slow.

Answers

• 2root2
    2root2 Member Posts: 31 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    depends on the service center you visit , but this much cleaning can be done by you as well , a little vaccum blow and some wiping will do the job . as long as you dont break warranty seals the warranty will not be void .
    1) the CPU temp rise can also be because of windows , i was facing a similar issue since jan 2020 .
    fixed it last night after a restore .

if you still want a professional to do the cleaning make sure you are present during it, as far as indian service centers go . they tend to break more than they fix . keep an eye on them and ask them to take their time and go slow.
  • Sumanth
    Sumanth Member Posts: 103 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    Well I'm from india as well, most Indian units if not all come with a void sticker on the bottom panel on top of a screw hole.
    Needless to say, if i want to clean it, I'll have to void my warranty.
    Well anyways, i did try to contact them online, maybe they realized that i'll loose my warranty in a week so they stopped responding.
    I can't go there physically due to the pandemic's lockdown so never mind either way i guess.
    Although I'll keep that in mind, I'll have to install windows again and try, maybe even a bloatfree version.
    Yea I've heard of them not being careful, but anyways, I've ordered some paste and I've learnt that the fan cleaning can be done without entirely removing the heat sink, fans can be flipped over and opened which i did not know before and was concerned about not applying the thermal paste properly or mess something up in the process. 
    So I'll try all of them one by one, check what the main problem was and share the results of the same with everyone.
    Thank you for your input!