Hardware upgrades P05-610

YuckyBubbles
YuckyBubbles Member Posts: 6 New User
edited February 15 in 2020 Archives
Kinda new to pc gaming world and upgrading your rig (og pc gamer, but everything has changed since I was back in 2003).  So I have a P05-610, so far I added a 2tb HDD and upgraded GPU to 2070super, both I had professionally installed.  I am curious about ram upgrades (and if they would make a difference like they used to years ago or is it all CPU nowadays), and the main quest I'm on now is the CPU.  The guy who I would pay to install this for me (my dumb hands would mess it up, so I'm not attempting to do it myself) says that not all motherboards fit all CPU's.  I have no idea how to figure that out and is why I'm making this forum question.  I'm thinking the 9900K coffee lake by intel.  But also curious if any of you who own a predator have changed to AMD and what your feedback is.  This pc was super fast for first several months, but now it takes a while to load certain games and just turning it on has slowed down a lot too.  I realize a SSD would be better upgrade than the HDD I got but that's not my topic for this.  Plz help, thanks.

Best Answers

• pulkitking24
    pulkitking24 Member Posts: 109 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    bro for AMD cpu you need new motherboard.  yes buy ssd for slow down problem OR Nvme M.2 SSD if you pc support this. for that 9900k your mother board support that processor socket and also bro try searching any upgrade video about you pc on youtube you can find alot of thing about motherboard what you can do and what you can't do 
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,647 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Your MB supports Coffee Lake-S processors, Those are 8th gen. so the 9th gen you ask about (Coffee Lake-R) could be an issue. Better would be an i7-8700 unless that's where you are already. The i7-8700K will work, but you'll want to upgrade the cooling to handle the extra power load's heat. As the previous poster has noted, changing from Intel to AMD requires a different MB, and likely also memory to match the speed correctly. And even though it's not the topic, the SSD upgrade will be a bigger change than anything else you do.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• pulkitking24
    Answer ✓
    bro for AMD cpu you need new motherboard.  yes buy ssd for slow down problem OR Nvme M.2 SSD if you pc support this. for that 9900k your mother board support that processor socket and also bro try searching any upgrade video about you pc on youtube you can find alot of thing about motherboard what you can do and what you can't do 
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    Your MB supports Coffee Lake-S processors, Those are 8th gen. so the 9th gen you ask about (Coffee Lake-R) could be an issue. Better would be an i7-8700 unless that's where you are already. The i7-8700K will work, but you'll want to upgrade the cooling to handle the extra power load's heat. As the previous poster has noted, changing from Intel to AMD requires a different MB, and likely also memory to match the speed correctly. And even though it's not the topic, the SSD upgrade will be a bigger change than anything else you do.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • YuckyBubbles
    ok great, thanks guys
  • YuckyBubbles
    I currently have the i5-8600K.  Besides adding some or reviving the speed, I am hoping to future proof my rig for at least another 2 years.  I have a 2070super which will hold out a while, and I've been told upgrading CPU will increase the GPU's abilities anyway, but at somepoint I want to get a 3000 series nvidia since even the lowest one is a beast...upgrade CPU to highest my MB can handle, and it sounds like I should get another ssd or nvme and new and better fans and that should hold me over for a few years yea?  I'm looking at around $700-$800 (including selling my 2070super and offsetting cost of 3000series purchase) and then no need upgrade anything until a couple of years.

That is overall though, for right now ssd/nvme would be first and cheapest option for speed increase?
  • pulkitking24
    First go for SSD that would make all the difference. Or try searching your motherboard if there is a Nvme SSD port that is much faster than traditional SATA SSD.
  • pulkitking24
    Also if you can upload few pictures of your motherboard i could do more research about it and maximum supported processor. Take a clear picture with motherboard model number 
  • pulkitking24
    Also RTX 3000 series has different power connector too i am not sure but you should check this out
  • YuckyBubbles
    It seems one slot is open, but this is close and as detailed as  I could get.  I transferred my largest game from my after market 2tb HDD to the 500GB ssd that came with the pc and it seems to have sped up the pc as a whole slightly and the game itself.  Trying to understand this, Idk what exactly Nvme means or is, but adding another ssd will speed up the pc?  I fully understand a higher cpu would but I just dont understand enough about the ssd stuff.
  • pulkitking24
    bro i found a page with same pc as you i think check this out this has some useful info about your pc
    https://mightygadget.co.uk/acer-predator-orion-5000-review-i7-8700-gtx1060/
  • YuckyBubbles
    edited September 2020
    well, the one I have is the p05-610.  I have the i5-8600k and it came with the GTX 1070 (which I upgraded to 2070super).  That review is for 1060 and the i7-8700, plus it has a 1tb HDD and a 128gb SSD, mine only came with 500GB SSD.  Visually it all looks the same as mine, so probably correct on the same motherboard.  Seems all the items and slots look exactly like mine does.  When I bought mine from newegg it heavily stated that it was made to be upgraded.  There are lots of slots and room for things but looking at the pictures I posted, there seems to be only 1 slot available to what I assume is the SSD area and then one more slot underneath the GPU.  I already disconnected the cd drive and used the cable on that for the 2TB HDD that I added.  From what I'm reading about the other one in the link, there is another slot for DDR4 Ram, back in the day (early 2000's when I kinda knew stuff about things, lol) Ram being upgraded to more did make a difference on speed of everything, would that impact now?  As I said above I want to sort of future proof my rig so I'm really thinking hard on CPU upgrade, but you guys are telling me SSD and/or NVMe is the way to go also.  Do any of these play a bigger role on what I'm wanting?  (*note - I'm seeing that I can add an NVMe but I would need to remove the wifi plug for it, I directly connect my pc to my router and never use wifi, so that would be worth it to me.  But just one would suffice? or make a notable difference?)
  • YuckyBubbles
    Too late to edit last one.  On the link provided, I searched that site for the p05-610 and apparently they have a new model with that same set up, so mine would be the last version of that because I bought mine brand new last year (2019) around April.
  • pulkitking24
    yes bro if you don't use wifi then it's worth it for you have nvme ssd because nvme is really fast then normal sata ssd  
  • pulkitking24
    about ram if you have less ram then 16 gb then you should upgrade or if you have single stick of 16 gb ram then buy another 16 gb same ram will make diffrence duel channle ram makes more difference 
  • pulkitking24
    if yu want a really good and future proof pc then i would suggest to build a whole new pc for RTX 3000 series card and sell this one use money for new pc part
  • pulkitking24
    also you can sell your wifi card if it's something good 
  • billsey
    Removing the WiFi doesn't gain you anything because the M.2 slot for WiFi is specific to WiFi/Bluetooth cards. You can't put a SSD on it.