will not wake from sleep with the lid closed - Aspire E5-575

Doowopper
Doowopper Member Posts: 10 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
laptop operates well with the lid closed using an HDMI TV for display and a USB connected mouse and keyboard. After timeouts the laptop goes into sleep mode. I can wake it using the mouse and keyboard if the lid is kept open but not when the lid is closed. Is this fixable?

//Edited the content to add model name.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    Open ControlPanel. Search 'button'. Click 'change what the power buttons do' in left pane. Change 'when I close the lid' to 'do nothing'. The lid screen should still turn off when closed or toggled off with FN+F5, but shouldn't keep the sleeping laptop from waking up when you hit the mouse or keyboard. I emphasize should and shouldn't because ControlPanel power plan settings are still a work in progress on some machines and may need further adjustments in an advanced settings submenu. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Doowopper
    when i close the lid it is already set to do nothing. the HDMI display shuts down after 10 min. in this state hitting the mouse or keyboard turns the HDMI display back on. sleep mode turns on after 30 min. at this point hitting the mouse and keyboard does nothing. if i open the lid it comes out of sleep and the display is now ok as well. then i close the lid for normal operation. the laptop is behind closed doors so it would be useful if the mouse or keyboard could bring it out of sleep. my guess is that the USB interface is not working when it goes into sleep; in device manager the USB controller driver does not allow me to check the box that says wake the computer.
  • Doowopper
    if i leave the lid open hitting the mouse or keyboard wakes the laptop from sleep mode.
  • JackE
    edited July 2020
    >>> the HDMI display shuts down after 10 min. >>>
    >>>sleep mode turns on after 30 min.>>>

What do you mean by "HDMI display shuts down after 10 mins" and  then "sleep mode turns on after 30 mins" What settings are you using to shut down an external screen after 10 mins then put the machine in sleep mode after 30 mins?

I suggest that you edit your power plan in Control Panel. Go to change advanced settings box. Click on the USB settings folder and try enabling then disabling selective suspend settings on both battery and plugged in to see what results you get.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Doowopper
    running Windows 10. In settings "power and sleep" the timeouts are set for the screen and sleep. the values i quoted are whn the laptop is plugged in. i have a two display system with the same image on both, laptop and HDMI TV

• Doowopper
    your suggestions do not apply to W10.
  • JackE
    Open ControlPanel. Search 'power plan'. Click 'edit power plan' in left pane. Click 'change advanced power settings' . In the box that pops up, click USB settings. Click 'USB selective suspend setting' subfolder. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Doowopper
    hi Jack I appreciate your taking the time to work with me on this. I followed the above instructions. The settings show "Enabled" for both On Battery and Plugged In.
  • What is the exact model of the notebook? Example an515-51-75kz. Does the same problem occur when disabling hybrid suspension?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • JackE
    Try disabling them. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Doowopper
    Hi Jack, sorry for the delay in responding but I was trying a few things. I have an Aspire E5-575 with firmware 1.47 running Windows 10 which just had a recent update to build 19041. All the drivers appear to be up to date. I was able to edit the power plan and the USB settings for "plugged in"; I tried both enabled and disabled with no change. The laptop will not come out of sleep mode when I operate the USB connected mouse or keyboard when the lid is closed. The operation I have now settled on which I find to be satisfactory is to leave the lid open, shut down the laptop display and only use the HDMI TV display (this is done in the settings for display). After 10 minutes the display turns off and the PC goes into sleep mode. After a brief delay the TV auto shuts off. When I return I turn on the TV and the mouse/keyboard turns on the display and wakes the PC from sleep. I do not think it will get better than this. I do not have much interest in continuing this dialogue but if you want to continue working on it, I will assist you.
    Regards, Doowopper
  • JackE
    >>>I operate the USB connected mouse or keyboard when the lid is closed.>>>

Is the lid closed still set to 'do nothing'? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Doowopper
    on battery set to Sleep, plugged in set to Do Nothing. I have it plugged in.
  • What is the exact model of the notebook? Example an515-51-75kz. Does the same problem occur when disabling hybrid suspension?

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Doowopper
    here is the readout from DxDiag.       Machine Id: {203930D1-29BE-494C-82D0-9AD2129106EA}
             Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 19041) (19041.vb_release.191206-1406)
                     Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
          System Manufacturer: Acer
                 System Model: Aspire E5-575
                         BIOS: V1.47 (type: UEFI)
    I assume that what you mean by hybrid suspend is called hibernate in Windows 10. It is set to Never when plugged in.

• JackE
    >>>I do not think it will get better than this. I do not have much interest in continuing this dialogue >>>

Agreed. As noted earlier, ControlPanel power plan settings are still a work in progress for some machines.  That is, they don't always behave as expected at least not in an intuitive straightforward way. Perhaps a future update will resolve the annoyance. But I wouldn't hold my breath. If it were mine, I could easily live with it as a curiosity. Carry on, Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• I was referring to this function:
    How to disable Sleep Mode or Hibernation

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Doowopper
    allow hybrid sleep is set to OFF
  • JackE
    I'm gonna guess it doesn't matter. Did I guess right?   :) Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• I also wouldn't mind this "problem" @JackE. Hibernation and sleep is only a useful feature when the user uses a hard drive. As I use a 2280 nvme ssd m2, I disable fast startup, hibernation, suspension and hybrid suspension to avoid problems.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer