SW512-52-55YD Switch 5 N17P5 will not power on.

Hgill27
Hgill27 Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
The battery died on my Switch 5. I charged it and went to power it on again, the keyboard backlight turns on but not the display. I did what Acer support told me last time, hold down the power button for 30 seconds and then power on. But it hasn’t done anything this time. Is this a common issue?

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    It depends on how dead the battery got to. Did it sit for a long time? You might be able to get it back by doing a battery reset. Depending on which Switch 5 you have you might have a battery reset hole. Simply unplug things and shut the system down (you're already down so can skip the 'turn it off' part :)) then put a paperclip into the reset hole and hold that down for 15-30 seconds. Next wait 15-30 minutes and plug your charger back in. Wait for it to charge fully and turn things back on. Let me know if you don't have one of the Switch 5 models with a battery reset hole and we'll look at alternate methods to reset the battery.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Hgill27
    It died during normal use. I didn’t notice the battery was dying and it went out mid zoom meeting. Where would the reset hole be if it has one?
  • billsey
    What is your full model number? Likely something like SW512-xx-xxxx...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Hgill27
    It’s a SW512-52-55YD
  • billsey
    OK, your Switch 5 doesn't have a battery reset hole, the only way to try a reset is to open it up and disconnect. If you are still in warranty it's time to contact Acer support again, though be aware that they're doing like everyone else and working from home, so they are slower than normal. If you are out of warranty then we get to open it up. You pull the kickstand out a bit, remove an SD card and those two little sticky dots and remove the two screws that hide in the kickstand slots on the sides. At that point it often easiest to also remove the kickstand by pulling the two screws on each side. Next use an old credit card or plastic pry tool and starting from the bottom center gently pry the case apart to both sides. Next do the right side (rotate to get the best access, then the top and finally the left side. When all four sides are loose it's time to be especially gentle because there are a couple of ribbon cables that can tear if you yank on them. With it sitting on the table lift the left side slightly and disconnect the ribbon cable that goes to the fingerprint reader. The connector has a lever going all across it and if you lift the lever up the cable will slide out with no effort. Lift the cover up to about a 90 degree angle and remove the ribbon that goes to the pogo pins down at the bottom. Next disconnect the battery cable from the motherboard. Here we go back and do what we were talking about with the reset, press and hold the power button for 30 seconds or so, let it sit for 15 minutes or more, then put it all back together, carefully plugging the cables back in and settling the case back together and finally snapping the two halves together and putting the screws back in. Plug it in, charge it fully, then try turning it back on.
    If this sounds a bit too complex you can usually find a local computer technician that will do it all for not a whole lot of cash...