Aspire A515-54 BIOS Add Workaround to fix noise issue. (Date:2020/03/30)

Options
blachanc
blachanc Member Posts: 3 New User
edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives

Hi all,

I find that the fan on my new Acer tends to start randomly. 

Is the new bios ment to fix this? (the description doe not mentions which noise it is trying to fix).

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/CA/content/support-product/7972?b=1&pn=NX.HNAAA.006

BIOS Add Workaround to fix noise issue.

Date:2020/03/30

Version:1.17

Vendor: Acer

Size: 13.6 MB

Thanks

Edited the content to hide personal information

Acer-Samuel

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Options
    If you're machine is still under warranty, I'd give it a whirl if the fan noise is unbearable when it kicks in. BIOS descriptions are usually pretty vague but still pretty risky compared to other updates. If not under warranty and the noise not unbearable, then no. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• blachanc
    edited April 2020
    Options
    JackE said:
    If you're machine is still under warranty, I'd give it a whirl if the fan noise is unbearable when it kicks in. BIOS descriptions are usually pretty vague but still pretty risky compared to other updates. If not under warranty and the noise not unbearable, then no. Jack E/NJ
    Hi JackE,
    Thanks, I will let someone else be the guinea pig. 
    This a brand new Laptop.
  • JackE
    Options
    >>>This a brand new Laptop. >>>

This is why I said that it might be worth trying. It might work. However, if it fails and bricks the machine, you can also return it to the vendor as defective for a replacement or refund if within the vendor's RMA policy period. Usually a few weeks. After that, then the ACER warranty repair would take care of it. However, only you can judge just how annoying the noise is and whether or not you can live with it as-is. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• blachanc
    edited April 2020
    Options
    HI Jack,

I did update the bios, but it does not look like it changed the fan behavior/max speed. I wonder what noise it was refering to in the BIOS.
    But thanks for your support.
    I now know I can safely update the bios on this LAPTOP !!
    I will change my power setting to lower the perfs when i only do office work 

Edited the content to hide personal information

Acer-Samuel

• JackE
    Options
    >>>I now know I can safely update the bios on this LAPTOP !!>>>

Do not make this assumption. Firmware updates are much riskier than device driver updates because they usually can't be easily reversed plus have a higher chance of introducing adverse side effects that may be worse than the fan noise or bricking the machine. As mentioned earlier, if the noise is intolerable even when lowering your power plan then you should return the machine to the vendor for a refund or exchange. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ