SP315-51 No Bootable Device - Can't boot into Windows

Options

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Options
    >>>I can't remove drive. >>>Would like try to get a bit of data off first>>>

Yes, you can remove the drive. But you first have to remove the bottom cover, battery and LED board. If you don't want to do that, then no, you can't get a bit of data off first. Sorry.  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• chai613
    chai613 Member Posts: 105 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Options
    OK, understood, without removing the HDD I won't be able to recover data.  My wife says that's OK, she has what she needs elsewhere.  She also set me straight on the following.  Please don't hate me.  In fact, if there are children nearby as you read this, wait until they're out playing. 

The 3 year old Acer laptop we've been working on runs Windows 10.  
    I have not tried to reinstall with my PCs Win7 reinstall disk yet.  The laptop did not come with any disks.  It's recovery system was on the HDD.  I made both Acer and Acronis bootable recovery USB drives when it was brand new.  The machine will not boot up with them!  It behaves like they're not plugged into the USB port.  I've looked at them on my PC, they appear to me as they did when created.

I know being a Win10 laptop probably changes everything and explains a lot.
    There is no Windows tag nor label on the laptop. No Product Key.
    Can I make a Win 10 recovery USB drive without a product key?
    Is making a Win10 installation USB drive my next step, after apologizing to you, JordanB and billsey profusely?

• JackE
    Options
    >>>I have not tried to reinstall with my PCs Win7 reinstall disk yet.  The laptop did not come with any disks.  It's recovery system was on the HDD.  I made both Acer and Acronis bootable recovery USB drives when it was brand new.  The machine will not boot up with them!  It behaves like they're not plugged into the USB port.  I've looked at them on my PC, they appear to me as they did when created.>>>

If you have recovery USBs, I would first try to boot them in legacy mode. If that doesn't work, then try UEFI mode. You may have to set a supervisor password in UEFI mode. I'm fishing here because I have no clue in what mode or BIOS setup these USBs were created in the first place.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• chai613
    Options
    Booting my recovery USB drives in legacy mode.  The Acer brings me to the Troubleshoot, Turn Off option.  Troubleshoot options like Repair failed.

The Acronis recovery drive operates my Acronis True Image program.  I have 4 options.  Two for 64 bit, Acronis True Image (64 bit) and Acronis True Image System Report (64 bit).  The other two are Acronis True Image and Acronis True Image System Report, which I imagine are both 32 bit.

I let it run the Acronis System Report which it produced and which I saved to another USB drive as a zip file.

The Acronis True Image choice loads and says:  Acronis True image does not find any hard disk drive. 

More info on this error and solutions may be in the Acronis Knowledge Base.  To access the online resource manually enter event code:  0x000101F4+0x000A01FD
    at:  http://kb.acronis.com/errorcode/

Running Acronis True Image after rebooting loads the program, but I don't seem able to use the recovery USB drive to cause Acronis True Image to recover anything.

I'm loading the other USB disk which has the system report onto my PC to see what it shows.
  • JackE
    Options
    >>>Booting my recovery USB drives in legacy mode. >>>

Let's forget Acronis right now. Looks like it's set up for a newer partitioning system that Win7 can't boot from.  I'm more interested in the USB recovery drive that booted. Do you recall how you made this recovery USB drive? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• chai613
    Options
    So the Acronis system report transferred nothing onto the other USB drive. 
    OK, let's forget acronis. No files on the drive at all!

I just followed the Acer set up directions.  Then it suggested creating a USB recovery drive.  I installed a brand new 32GB USB drive and ran the recovery drive creation program.  Didnt look at it again till the machine crashed over a year ago.  At that time the Acer or Costco tech recovered my operating system using the laptop itself.  Remember, Jack, it either was originally, or at the time of the recovery a year or so ago, became Windows 10.

Will my old PC's Win7 reinstallation disk still be helpful?
  • chai613
    Options
    Booting the laptop with the Acer recovery USB drive now shows:

RECOVERY
    Your PC/Device needs to be repaired

The Boot Configuration Data file doesn't contain valid information for an operating system.

File:\Boot\BCD
    Error Code:  0xc0000098

You'll need to use recovery tools.  If you don't have any installation media (like a disc or UsB device), contact your PC or PC/Device manufacturer.
  • JackE
    Options
    >>>I'm running Windows 7 on this SP315-51, Model # N16P9, Laptop KO68V1V8.>>>

>>> Remember, Jack, it either was originally, or at the time of the recovery a year or so ago, became Windows 10.>>>

Aye! Yes, I know it was a factory installed Win10 machine. I thought you wanted Win7, and it was changed to Win7. I didn't know it became Win 10 again a year ago!

If you want Win7 installed, the BIOS must be in legacy mode and booted using the Win7 installation DVD. If the DVD installation doesn't see the SSD, then the SSD must be cleaned and re-partitioned with the old partitioning scheme.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    The later Windows 7 machines (usually those downgraded since people didn't want the newer OSes) will boot in UEFI mode. I suspect this is one of those machines and was set for UEFI boot.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • JackE
    Options
    Sorry, I'm not sure how that was done. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JackE
    Options
    The bottom line. If you want Win7, try to install Win7 with the Win7 DVD installation disk in whichever mode it'll install. If you want Win10, that's another story. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• chai613
    Options
    Trying to install the Win7 operating system using the Win7 reinstallation disk.
    I'm using an external DVD drive attached to a USB port in the laptop. The Windows installation program loads when the laptop boots up.  However, it's looking for a required Driver for the CD/DVD device which it says is missing. 

• JackE
    Options
    This machine is certainly full of surprises. Is the DVD marked Windows 7 HomePremium or Professional or Ultra? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• chai613
    Options
    Reinstallation DVD
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
  • JackE
    Options
    OK. Go to this link to convert the DVD files into one big Win7 installation ISO file. You can then either use the Microsoft method of creating a bootable USB stick from this Win7 installation ISO in this same link OR a freeware program called Rufus to do it.  Then you can do away with the DVD drive since they're becoming useless dinosaurs already. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• chai613
    Options
    Jack, since I have to create a new disk, should I use Rufus to keep the Win 10 format my wife is used to?  I only was speaking of Win 7 because the Costco tech said I'd need a Windows Installation DVD, and I have an old one from my PC.  Would it be just as easy to accomplish reinstalling Win 10 to this laptop as Win 7)?
  • JackE
    Options
    Yes easier to do Win10 with a Rufus Win10 bootable installation USB. It should recognize the SSD with either the old or new partitioning scheme. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    Just remember to switch the BIOS back to UEFI before trying the Windows 10 install.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • JayRañeses
    JayRañeses Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    chai613 said:
    I did save and exit after setting LEGACY mode instead of UEFI mode.  When going back into the BIOS, It does show I'm in Legacy mode in the Boot tab.  However, the machine only boots into "No Bootable Device - Insert Boot Disk and Press Any Key".  
    My laptop have the same problem with you..how did you solve this?please help me too
  • JackE
    Options

Best to start your own thread with your full ACER model number. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ