SP315-51 No Bootable Device - Can't boot into Windows

Answers

• chai613
    chai613 Member Posts: 105 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    I don't have a boot manager anymore
  • chai613
    Jack, I have saved and exited in Legacy mode.  Then I've turned the machine off.  I've rebooted.  But still only getting the indication:
     "No Bootable Device - Insert Boot Disk and Press Any Key".
  • chai613
    Jack, you're doing this with me for almost 5 hours.  I am sure you need a break.  I still can't boot into Windows (now in Legacy mode).  Should we pick up tomorrow?  Will you have any time?
  • chai613
    Thank you very much for all of your help !!   I hope we can pick it back up.  Be well!
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,470 Trailblazer
    Yes, we can pick it up tomorrow. But it looks like whatever happened has also affected the Win7 boot section of the HDD. We can try to repair it tomorrow with the advanced tools options in your Win7 installation CD/DVD. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• cliflisha4
    cliflisha4 Member Posts: 2 New User
    I'm here for the solution. I have the same issue. 
  • chai613
    Thanks, Jack.  I do have a DVD drive to attach to the Acer laptop and a Win7 Ultimate 64-bit Reinstallation DVD I purchased with the PC I'm using now.  Just one caveat.  The Costco tech I spoke with before reaching out to this Acer Community tried to help me create a Restore CD on the Microsoft Support website using my Win7 reinstallation DVD, but I couldn't verify the Product Key on their site with the key on the back of my DVD package.  Its a key I've used when reinstalling the operating system on my PC several times, so it has been a valid key in the past.

I'm ready when you are !  Thanks again, very much !! 
  • chai613
    Sorry, the Costco tech was trying to help me create a Restore Thumb Drive (she called it a flash drive), not a CD.
  • JackE
    OK, try to boot into the Win7 installation DVD. There should be an advanced or troubleshooting options section/menu that will let us get to the DOS command prompt. It'll be a black screen with white letters with a blinking cursor. Probably looking something like 'X : \ > _'  called the X command prompt. We will be entering some commands to try to repair the boot section of the disk. Let me know if you can get the the command prompt from the DVD. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• chai613
    OK, thanks, Jack.  I had been able to get into the Command Prompt before switching to Legacy mode.  I'll try now.  To be clear, I'm going to try to get into the Command Prompt with the DVD Installation Disc already in place before booting up the laptop?
  • chai613
    So, the laptop is booting up with the installation disc in the dvd drive.  It says Windows is loading files....
  • chai613
    Wow !!!  OK, so I'm now at the Install Windows screen.  Windows 7 Installation!  I've selected English.  I imagine I should hit Next...??
  • chai613
    By the way, Jack, there was no Command Prompt that came up.  It just went straight to Windows loading files.
  • chai613
    Jack, its looking like I"ll be reinstalling Windows 7.  Should I go ahead with this, or try to use the Command Prompt somehow to just repair the boot section of the HDD?
  • JackE
    I was hoping for an advanced options on the DVD. Did you only get one DVD? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• chai613
    Yes, I only have this one DVD for Windows 7.  I have an older one for Windows Vista.  I have DVDs for the Drivers and many for other software.
  • chai613
    As yet, I have not gone ahead with NEXT to begin the installation of Windows 7

• chai613
    Jack, this laptop is used pretty much only for Facebook, Internet browsing, and email.  Its not much of a problem to reinstall the Operating System.  I'd do that if its what's needed to get this machine up and running again.  I can reinstall Avast Internet Security, Microsoft Office, etc.
  • chai613
    Jack, I am sure you're very busy, but it would help me manage my time if I knew whether we were going to be able to work on this for a while now, or another time would be better.  Thanks!
  • chai613
    Jack, I think if we're going to need the Command Prompt, I'd have to go back to Legacy Mode.  I'm signing off for now.
    I'll just check back periodically to see if you have sent any thoughts.  Thanks!