SP315-51 No Bootable Device - Can't boot into Windows

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    How/When do you think it could've gotten changed? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• chai613
    chai613 Member Posts: 105 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Sorry, Jack, when could what have gotten changed?  My wife was using it and it suddenly showed a blue screen that said something about needing to reboot itself to protect the computer.  It rebooted, she said, but not into Windows.  Its been like this ever since, 2 days now.  The machine had been going slow for a number of months.  I found that by restarting it several times when first booting up, it operated somewhat better for a while.  But, it was not operating like when it was new.
  • chai613
    I run AVAST Internet Security, It did seem to catch some threat just before this happened, while my wife was visiting a website she didn't intend to be on.  It was a variant spelling of what was intended.  So, this could be a virus phenomenon.
  • chai613
    It operated OK for an hour or so before it "crashed" so I don't know if the threat that was caught and isolated had anything to do with this?
  • JackE
    >>> when could what have gotten changed?>>>

Looks like the original 2016 BIOS v1.03 was somehow changed to a newer 2018 BIOS v1.08 along the line. This isn't usually done automatically. It has to be first downloaded from the ACER download site, then de-compressed,  then manually run from Windows as an executable EXE file. And if it was run from Win7, and not from Win10 for which this update is meant, there could be issues created. This is why I'm asking and wanted to know the purchase date. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• chai613
    Also, about 2 years ago, the operating system needed to be restored.  An Acer (or Costco) tech helped me restore it using the internal Recovery software in the device.  It was operating, so the recovery software was accessible, unlike now.  After that recovery, the machine worked like brand new for a year or so.  
  • chai613
    Maybe the new BIOS was installed during that recovery operation?
  • chai613
    Had no idea the 2018 BIOS v1.08 was intended for Win 10.  We've only been running Win 7.  
  • JackE
    Re-enter the BIOS menu. What entries are in the Boot tab? A phone shot of the screen would be good if possible. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• chai613
    Here are the entries in the Boot tab of the BIOS menu.
  • JackE
    OK. Looks like something or someone got into the BIOS to change it to a UEFI bootstrap. It must be changed back to a Legacy BIOS for a Win7 HDD to boot. You're probably going to have to turn off secure boot in order to change it. That may require you to set and save a BIOS supervisor password in the Main tab. But first try to change UEFI to Legacy in the BOOT tab. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• chai613
    OK, Jack.  I selected LEGACY, but before completing the action, a blue band comes up saying: "Microsoft Recommends Executing Windows 8 and the version above under UEFI boot mode to enjoy the full features".  The only choice given is {OK}.  Shall I select OK?
  • chai613
    By the way, I don't have Windows 8.

• JackE
    Yes. You don't have Win8 and above --- meaning Win8.1 or Win10. You have Win7.  So select OK  Then hopefully enjoy booting again into the last halfway decent Windows operating system, Win7 .   :)   Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• chai613
    OK, now instead of an icon, it opens to a statement across the top"No Bootable Device - Insert Boot Disk and Press Any Key.
  • chai613
    So entering the BIOS and Boot Sequence, HDD0 is in Position #1
  • chai613
    Let me see if I can take a photo and attach it.
  • JackE
    Once you have the legacy mode instead of UEFI mode shown in the Boot tab, just try to  save BIOS settings and exit. You may have to shut down the machine again by pressing and holding the power button. Then simply turn it back on. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• chai613
  • chai613
    I did save and exit after setting LEGACY mode instead of UEFI mode.  When going back into the BIOS, It does show I'm in Legacy mode in the Boot tab.  However, the machine only boots into "No Bootable Device - Insert Boot Disk and Press Any Key".