My ACER A315-53 laptop switches on until I press any key other then power key

amitray
amitray Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives
I am having a strange problem in my laptop ACER A315-53 model core i3 8th gen processor. My Power button does not work but when I press any other key it wakes up and starts booting. The moment I stop pressing any key the laptop shuts down abruptly. I tried all sort of solutions given in the site like resetting battery, pressing the small button near RAM slot but nothing works. Meanwhile I pressed the power key so many times that the key came out. I never had such a product from ACER. I had a ACER Laptop which lasted for 12 Years and still running. My ACER monitor also is running fine. I always preferred ACER but this incident has really scared me as its just a 3 months old Laptop. Is there any other solution for this?

Answers

• William_mk2
    William_mk2 Ally Posts: 4,084
    @amitray

Hi,

I am really sorry for the inconvenience.   First of all we need to find out whether it is a hardware or software issue.   We need to narrow down the issue.  You can always start the computer with and without the battery.   Check how the computer performs with the battery and without the battery.    Once the battery is inserted try to use the computer with the charger and without the charger.   Try to use the computer in a different power outlet.   Try to bypass the surge protector and connect it directly to power outlet.   

These are the basic steps that you need to follow.

Power Drain test for laptop.

If your computer is not having the inbuilt battery follow these steps.

1.  Turn off the laptop.  Unplug all the cables and devices including power cable.

2.  Remove the battery if it is not inbuilt.

3.  Hold the power button for 50 seconds.

4.  Connect all the cables back

5.  Turn on the computer.

Steps to remove the battery.

1.  Turn off the computer.   Remove all the cables and devices including power cable

2.  Turn the laptop upside down.  Flip the laptop.  On the back of laptop there will be a unlock switch.  You need to move the switch to the left or right and then you need to pull the battery door out.  

If your computer is having an inbuilt battery follow these steps.

Power Drain test.

1.  Turn off the laptop.  Unplug all the cables and devices including power cable.

Flip the laptop.  On the back of the laptop there will be a tiny hole.  It is called a battery reset hole.  There will be a battery symbol right next to the hole.

2. You need to insert a paper clip or small pin gently inside the hole and hold it for    30 seconds. 

3. Plug all the cables back and turn on the computer.

Step 2

Bios Defaults.

1. Turn on the computer and keep on tapping f2.  It will go to bios setup utility

2. Press f9 once on the bios setup screen.   It will show you bios defaults.  Please press yes.

3. Press f10 on the bios setup screen.  It will show you "yes" to save the changes.  Please press yes.

Computer will automatically restart and it will load windows..

Note: Also check whether sleep mode is set on your computer.   If sleep mode is set try to turn off the sleep mode and check.    Try to reset the power settings.   If none of the options are working you can always reload the windows .    Even after reloading the windows still if you face the same issue only then it is a hardware issue.   As it is a 3 months old laptop you can always go to support.acer.com.   chose your country - click on contact details.    

If the above steps are helpful for you please click "like"

If the above steps resolves your issue please click "yes"

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• Shashikant
    Shashikant Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

hi @amitray did you resolve this issue? i am facing exact same problem, maybe you can help.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,672 Trailblazer
    Check to make sure the key isn't stuck down.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Shashikant
    Shashikant Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

billsey said:
    Check to make sure the key isn't stuck down.

I suspect the same. For now, I'm making it work by sacrificing the caps lock button. I've clamped it so that it remains pressed throughout. Because of lockdown in my country, I can't get it repaired for a while. until then, I'm using the hack.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,672 Trailblazer
    Sometimes a squirt of compressed air under the key will free it up, and you might be able to get one of those cans online.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • amitray

Tinkerer

hi @amitray did you resolve this issue? i am facing exact same problem, maybe you can help.
    Yes it was under warranty so they replaced my keyboard. They said that it is a common issue with that model. Several persons got it replaced.
  • ManishKataria
    ManishKataria Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

I got the same issue now, power button not working. Laptop turns on with any other key but not by power key. 

Sadly my laptop has passed its warranty period by a year now. I'm quite worried. I don't want the laptop to opened. Is there any other solution to this rather than changing keyboard? 
  • amitray

Tinkerer

ManishKataria said: ji
    I got the same issue now, power button not working. Laptop turns on with any other key but not by power key. 

Sadly my laptop has passed its warranty period by a year now. I'm quite worried. I don't want the laptop to opened. Is there any other solution to this rather than changing keyboard? 
    I dont think there is any other method. I tried several online solutions nothing worked. Better you can just get keyboard replaced from a service centre. It won't cost you much. Luckily i had taken 2 years extended warranty. Another 2 years is still there.
  • Geofmen
    Geofmen Member Posts: 2 New User
    Same problem..anyone can help me? 
  • Geofmen
    Geofmen Member Posts: 2 New User
    Aside from replacing keyboard. What else solution? 
  • Ashish888
    Ashish888 Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited June 2020
    I also have the same problem that i have to press the keys other than power key to start but then again  turns off within a few seconds. I have to keep pressing capslock button in order to complete the startup process. Is there any solution other than replacing keyboard ?
    Aspire E15 E5-575G-53VG
  • Aman10
    Aman10 Member Posts: 2 New User
    amitray said:
    I am having a strange problem in my laptop ACER A315-53 model core i3 8th gen processor. My Power button does not work but when I press any other key it wakes up and starts booting. The moment I stop pressing any key the laptop shuts down abruptly. I tried all sort of solutions given in the site like resetting battery, pressing the small button near RAM slot but nothing works. Meanwhile I pressed the power key so many times that the key came out. I never had such a product from ACER. I had a ACER Laptop which lasted for 12 Years and still running. My ACER monitor also is running fine. I always preferred ACER but this incident has really scared me as its just a 3 months old Laptop. Is there any other solution for this?
    bro please tell me how did u fix it im having the same problem please im crying for help
  • amitray

Tinkerer

Aman10 said:
    amitray said:
    bro please tell me how did u fix it im having the same problem please im crying for help
    There is only one solution. That is to take it to nearest service centre where they will change your keyboard.
  • Aman10
    Aman10 Member Posts: 2 New User
    will that problem happen again in so worried and also will they do it for free im still having warranty my laptop is only 3 months old
  • amitray

Tinkerer

Aman10 said:
    will that problem happen again in so worried and also will they do it for free im still having warranty my laptop is only 3 months old
    Definitely they will do it. dont worry. they themselves revealed that the keyboard used during manufacture is having issues so they are replacing all key boards and you already have another 9 months warranty.
  • Abhishekjethi
    Abhishekjethi Member Posts: 1 New User
    I am also facing same issue but my laptop is out of warranty now! Will Acer fix this for free as it is a manufacturing defect ! 
  • iPan332
    iPan332 Member Posts: 3 New User
    This happens on keyboards with the built-in power button. There's a voltage problem. The connector is bad. If the power button is completely damaged, it's a big problem. This happened to me. The solution was to replace the power button connector, or just remove it completely.
  • amitray

Tinkerer

I am also facing same issue but my laptop is out of warranty now! Will Acer fix this for free as it is a manufacturing defect ! 
    Officially they have not accepted this manufacturing defect. It may be for some laptops not all of them. I was having warranty which saved me.
  • iRobot
    iRobot Member Posts: 4 New User
    How much do they charge for a new keyboard if it is out of warranty ?
  • BhushanRahate
    BhushanRahate Member Posts: 1 New User
    Even I am facing the same issue with my ACER Aspire 5 Laptop. Does anyone have any idea how much does it cost to change keyboard?
This discussion has been closed.