No bios, black screen, and keyboard lights up, fans turn on at max when device is off, Aspire 717-72

MrNegative370
MrNegative370 Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

edited September 2022 in Aspire Laptops
Acer Aspire 717-72g-700j. Was running fine when I plugged in a USB hub with a separate power source. Device is just out of warranty as of last month, I can no longer send the device in for repair as I have done with this device already multiple times, Both for extreme overheating. I am adept with computers and have tried everything from swapping ram, disconnecting the internal battery, and all the standard removal of all IO. Because I cannot get the screen on with HDMI or built in display I have no other conclusion besides a short that damaged enough of the laptop to keep fans lights and usb ports active, or maybe the bios is corrupt and needs reinstalling. Unfortunate for me, I cannot even get the screen on much less the acer logo. Any and all help will be very much appreciated. I will supply all answers asked of me, thanks 'all for your time!

Answers

• MrNegative370

Tinkerer

Forgot to mention that when I tried new ram I reset the CMOS and the fan still will stay on while the laptop is off. Only way to get the fan to turn off is to plug in the computer or let it die. I have tried all of this and will keep at this. 
  • MrNegative370

Tinkerer

Bump, I have tried new ram resetting the cmos and everything but still black screen and keyboard lights up. 
  • Deejay_tech
    Deejay_tech Member Posts: 356 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    edited September 2019
    most probably the EC (Embedded Controller) chip firmware is corrupt. 
    1) try disconnecting the main battery and cmos battery for an hour or so. this may reset the EC chip firmware.
    EC chip, if you have seen the motherboard, is the big chip with "ene" written on it.

2) if the m/c bios is corrupt then you will have to use the ch341A programmer method to flash the bios , since the m/c is not even booting. or other option is to take it to the acer service centre and get it done.

My personal Acer m/c's
    1) Gaming: Acer Predator Helios 300 PH315-51
    Config:Core i5 8300H, 16GB, 250GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 1050ti GPU

2) Daily Use: Acer Aspire A315-53  59GR
    Config: Core i5 8250u, 8GB, 256 SSD, 1TB HDD, IPS FHD 

3) Linux Learning: Acer Aspire A315-53 P4MY
    Config: Pentium Gold 4417U, 8 GB, 256 SSD, 500GB HDD.
  • MrNegative370

Tinkerer

edited September 2019
    most probably the EC (Embedded Controller) chip firmware is corrupt. 
    1) try disconnecting the main battery and cmos battery for an hour or so. this may reset the EC chip firmware.
    EC chip, if you have seen the motherboard, is the big chip with "ene" written on it.

2) if the m/c bios is corrupt then you will have to use the ch341A programmer method to flash the bios , since the m/c is not even booting. or other option is to take it to the acer service centre and get it done.

Thank you so much for sharing that with me, I had previously unplugged the internal battery for 30 seconds so I will try overnight. Also I have only "reset" the cmos battery by pressing the paperclip sized hole next to the ram. I have not seen the typical cmos cr2032 coin cell on the bottom on the motherboard. I have been extremely hesitant to fully remove the motherboard from the device, but if that is another possibility I will do it. Meantime, I will unplug the internal battery (it has been 100% dead for about a week.) Again, thank you so much for posting that information it has been the only clue I have had to go off from!! Thanks a billion just for assisting, I'll post the results ASAP. 
  • KLR_Rico
    KLR_Rico Member Posts: 1 New User
    Any luck fixing this? I have the same issue.
  • Difusa
    Difusa Member Posts: 1 New User

Same problem slightly different. Acer aspire E5 575G,

I can boot but the keyboard and laptop fan doesn't come on external keyboard works but without the laptop fan it freezes after awhile. Sometimes during boot it will just random freeze. Removing power cable or pressing power button unfreeze it and continued to load into windows without keyboard and CPU fan working. Powering it off leaves CPU fan on full speed and USB devices still powered. How can I fix this issue.