FPS Drop When Plugged In - Aspire 5 A515-54G-73VG

zzz1252
zzz1252 Member Posts: 3 New User
edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives
I have a new A515-54G-73VG, I get fps drops in games every time I plug in the charger. When running on battery it runs perfectly(120 fps), but the moment it is plugged in the fps drops to 20. Already tried updating BIOS and drivers, set power processor to 99% etc, but still facing the same problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,470 Trailblazer
    Open Control Panel. Search 'power plan'. Click 'choose a power plan' in left pane. Change power plan to Balanced mode. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• zzz1252
    Thank you for your assistance, however changing the power plan did not resolve the problem. On the other hand, after updating to the latest bios about a week ago, the problem was resolved. Unfortunately, for some unknown reason the problem resurfaced today and I have yet to pinpoint the cause. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • JackE
    >>>On the other hand, after updating to the latest bios about a week ago, the problem was resolved. >>>

I think this was only coincidental. Does it still run OK on battery alone? And is the power plan still Balanced mode? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• zzz1252
    Yes it has the same behavior as before: runs smoothly on battery, fps drops severely when plugged in. The power plan has been on balanced ever since your recommendation.
  • JackE
    Open Control Panel. Search 'button'. Click 'change what the power buttons do ' in the left pane. Click 'change settings that are currently unavailable'. Scroll down and uncheck the box for 'fast startup'. Shutdown. Turn it on again. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Doctrine
    Doctrine Member Posts: 2 New User
    JackE said:
    Open Control Panel. Search 'button'. Click 'change what the power buttons do ' in the left pane. Click 'change settings that are currently unavailable'. Scroll down and uncheck the box for 'fast startup'. Shutdown. Turn it on again. Jack E/NJ
    Thank you so much, why the hell did that work and why does my pc boot up faster as well haha 
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,672 Trailblazer
    Fast Startup doesn't actually make the full startup faster, it just loads the Desktop earlier in the process. You get the Desktop nice and fast, but everything else is slower while the rest of the normal startup tasks load in the background. Unfortunately some of those tasks can get confused with Desktop already running. MS tweaks it each major update, so it gets better, but it's still not fully up to snuff on some systems.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • rupam_kb
    rupam_kb Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hi

If your laptop supports the Nvidia whisper mode (if the VRAM is Nvidia) then customizing the FPS in Nvidia control panel (for the individual program) should fix the issue. I had the same issue and now fixed entirely)

I have noted all the steps in this link.  
    (direct link: https://gamespec.tech/fix-laptop-fps-drop-when-plugged-in/)

You can give a try and check if that helps.