Laptop wont boot up after installing new ram module. Nitro 5 AN515-42

LjoVe97
LjoVe97 Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

edited July 2022 in Nitro Gaming
Hey all. I have an Acer Nitro 5 AN515-42 with the 8GB DDR4 ram. I bought another 4GB DDR4 model to install next to the 8 one so I have 12GB of ram. 
After inserting the 4gb ddr4 sodimm ram module in the specified place, and when I pressed the power up button on my laptop, it wouldn't boot up. I heard the vents inside turn on and the keyboard lit up, but the screen remained black. 
The factory ram in the laptop is a hynix 8gb ddr4 pc4-2400t 1rx8 ram module. The ram I bought is a samsung 4gb ddr4 pc4-2400t 1rx16 ram module. I heard that the 1rx16/1rx8 difference doesn't matter in modern computers. I see no reason for the laptop not to boot up at all when the ram is inside. I could understand if it booted up and couldn't see the ram, but not being able to boot up at all I don't understand. I also tried booting it up with only the 4gb ram stick I bought and it didn't work, still didn't boot up. Only boots up with the factory ram inside, alone.

Some help would be really appreciated. 

{Thread was edited to add model name to the title}

Answers

• MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Good Morning LjoVe97 !

First, what EXACT model of your laptop?
    Example: AN515-42-R8SH

Have you already tied the memory bank on another laptop?

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• LjoVe97

Tinkerer

MaClane said:
    Good Morning LjoVe97 !

First, what EXACT model of your laptop?
    Example: AN515-42-R8SH

Have you already tied the memory bank on another laptop?

AN515-42-R0WY

The ram works on another laptop.
    I am extremely dissapointed in Acer products and will not be buying from them anymore.
    I also have a post here about a m.2 ssd that the laptop couldn't see that works on other laptops. I also tried other SSD's even sata ones and the laptop couldn't see any of them. Now this with the ram. 
    With acer laptops u get what u get. Additional upgrades? Forget about them!
  • MaClane
    Every user must understand specifications and seek information before acquiring any hardware.
    Many technical specifications can prevent the correct functioning and certain parts.
    This has absolutely nothing to do with Acer.

Even being modern equipment, there are still possible incompatibilities of memory chips.

This model supports a maximum of 32GB of RAM (2 slots are 2x16GB) SO-DIMM DDR4 2400Mhz

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• LjoVe97

Tinkerer

MaClane said:
    Every user must understand specifications and seek information before acquiring any hardware.
    Many technical specifications can prevent the correct functioning and certain parts.
    This has absolutely nothing to do with Acer.

Even being modern equipment, there are still possible incompatibilities of memory chips.

This model supports a maximum of 32GB of RAM (2 slots are 2x16GB) SO-DIMM DDR4 2400Mhz

What the hell are you talking about? I bought a module that fits those specifications exactly. So you tell me. What's the problem?
  • MaClane
    Some internal memory bank chips may generate incompatibility with others.
    Even 1RX or 2RX factors can cause this.

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

• LjoVe97

Tinkerer

MaClane said:
    You know what. I'll be stupid and buy another ram module that's identical with the factory one. If it doesn't work either, I'll let anyone I know not to buy an Acer product. I'm fed up spending 100 dollars on SSD and 30 on RAM and the laptop doesn't see either of those.
  • MaClane
    All the information that the user needs is free of public deed.
    Just a little knowledge and attitude to search the right places to make acquisitions.

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

• andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    LjoVe97 said:
    MaClane said:
    You know what. I'll be stupid and buy another ram module that's identical with the factory one. If it doesn't work either, I'll let anyone I know not to buy an Acer product. I'm fed up spending 100 dollars on SSD and 30 on RAM and the laptop doesn't see either of those.
    I can understand your frustration but with respect it is not Acers fault, you bought the wrong RAM. After diligent research I added another 8g RAM to the exact same model as yours and it worked perfectly. I buy my RAM from Amazon and at the top of the page there is a RAM compatibility tool that will check your specific model for the RAM you are considering. There are a ton of threads on here similar to yours and every single one was because the wrong RAM was bought. Screenshot below is the RAM I bought and it's specs

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• jcmolero71
    jcmolero71 Member Posts: 24 Networker
    excuse me but Acer sorta have some issues recognizing the ram modules the first time, especially in my model which have soldered ram (honestly the worst idea because we are restricted to 20GB, when we could have 32 GB ram even if there was a only socket for it), well the first time I installed a 8 GB Micron to get working along the soldered 4 GB also Micron, it didn't work in the first boot, but the following ones, it worked but a suspicious incompatibility (2 Microns, please!) pushed me to get another module, this time a 16GB Crucial, I installed that one and guess what, it didn't boot! The only workaround I found it was remove it, turning on the laptop, entered in bios, reseted to defaults then I did shut off with the save & off bios command, reinstalled the module and this time it worked, making sure I ran one pass of memtest86 resulting good, working so far in Windows