Last attempt to fix Chromebook CB3-111 won't power on, black screen

Paulintoronto
Paulintoronto Member Posts: 1 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Spent hours working on an old chromebook and recently purchased a new chromebook.  The old chromebook ran it's course, it was great but I just don't want to send it to the grave.  Not the battery, charger, don't think it's the screen, hooking up to hdmi on tv there is NO signal, don't think it's the switch, manually works with magnet.  The blue light remains lit eventhough power lite is off.  blue screen light or computer on lite will go off when holding down power button for 5+ seconds and turns on immediately with magnet near the switch area.  Any thoughts before I have the burial, if I have to pay $50 for the old thing to keep running I don't mind, I have this new chromebook, I just love the chromebooks, never an issue.  UNtil near end of live lol.  any recommendations is appreciated.  

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    Doesn't sound hopeful, if it's set to know your wireless info so it logs on automatically while booting you could look at your router interface to see if it shows up under address leases. If it does then you know it's booting far enough to get networking running. If it does we can spend more time trying to figure out the display problem. If it doesn't get a lease then it's not getting the OS up enough. That would tend to point toward a system failure which is likely more problematic to fix. The third thing I can think of is a corrupted OS build, but that you should be able to fix easily with a reload of the OS, unless the failure is the drive.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.