Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Is the Swift 5 SF515-51T compatible with Linux?

I am planning on using Subgraph OS, which is based on Debian. I would like to make the touchscreen (of course no multitouch) the keyboard, the display and the main components (CPU, Mainboard, RAM, SSD) working. I do not need the fingerprint sensor (I do not think there is any distro which works with fingerprint or face ID anyway) the trackpad and the webcam, since I will use an external mouse and do not need the other things, so if there are any issues with these, it wouldn‘t be a problem. Will it work at all, will there be performance/stability issues and do I need to install any drivers apart from the Intel iGPU driver (if yes, which ones and how do I install these)?

Best Answer

• JackEJackE Posts: 16,745 Trailblazer
    Accepted Answer
    Really depends on how well the distro installation detects the hardware and adjusts the kernel. Can't predict this in advance. I suggest you try to install it alongside Windows to see what happens. You'll probably have to manually tweak the system after booting into it to get everything you want working. Might take some time and trial and error but it should be do-able.   Jack E/NJ

FAQ & Answers

• JackEJackE Posts: 16,745ACE Trailblazer
    Accepted Answer
    Really depends on how well the distro installation detects the hardware and adjusts the kernel. Can't predict this in advance. I suggest you try to install it alongside Windows to see what happens. You'll probably have to manually tweak the system after booting into it to get everything you want working. Might take some time and trial and error but it should be do-able.   Jack E/NJ
  • FantasyCookie17FantasyCookie17 Posts: 7Member

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    A review on the German Amazon says it works with Ubuntu, which is based on Debian as well. 
  • shoebombershoebomber Posts: 4Member New User
    Any major distro will work, depending on how much time you are willing and able to put into the effort of installing your system. I would say that you would use generic abd auto detecting software only for systems you want to have on removable media to boot on several machines, otherwise it will just be alot of overhead. Basicly do this: check drivers for all your hw, compile a new kernel containing theese drivers, get the UEFI code for your system, store it as allowed in your BIOS, and allow also your boot manager. (big myth going around that you need boot legacy to get linux working, dont believe it, go for secure boot, you want UEFI up.)

Second advice, if it dont work, google the web, chances that someone run into your problem before are great. Most cases you did some simple mistake so, just try again w/o that mistake. In the Linux world there is allways a way.
  • shoebombershoebomber Posts: 4Member New User
    ..and dmsg is your friend B)
  • duitduit Posts: 1Member New User
    Only thing not working is the Microphone which is really annoying. Ubuntu 18.04 other than this everything works including touch screen..