Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

A515-53 And basically any Acer Laptop- Battery charge percentage limiter.

jose_beltranjose_beltran Posts: 7Member

Tinkerer

Hello, 

This post is not trying to convince everyone of the benefits of charging a lithium ion battery up to 80% oe whether is it worth it or not. Neither I want for people to say, "don't worry, nowadays batteries doesn't suffer from peacking at high voltages or from being charge everytime to 100%". I don't want anyone to try to convince myself either.
In my experience, with Samsung, Asus and HP laptops, it has always been incredibly benficial to active in Asus and Samsung the option of limit the charge to 80% or 58% or whatever value under 85%. With my HP laptop, the battery wear more than twice as fast as it did on the Asus and Samsung with the battery limit on, and always keeping stable and relatively normal temperatures. After 3 years of use, my HP battery wore 45% of it's capacity; the Asus and Samsung on the other hand, wore 27% and 21%, respectively. All computers managed similar environment throughout their lifetime and where between $600-800 so I'm pretty confident that limiting the battery to charge no more than 80% is worth it if you're planning to have the laptop for more than a year at least... Besides my experience, there's plenty of scientific prove gathered in papers that show how it avoid battery wear in current lithium ion batteries.

SO PLEASE ACER, THIS IS MY FIRST LAPTOP FROM YOU AND ALL THE EXPERIENCE OVERALL HAS BEEN GREAT. I KNOW YOU ARE NOT AN APPLE-LIKE COMPANY THAT WOULD TRY TO MAKE YOUR CURRENT DEVICE OBSOLETE AS FAST AS POSSIBLE SO WE CAN GO AND BUY ANOTHER ONE. PLEASE ADD AN OPTION IN THE BIOS OR THROUGH ANY SOFTWARE LIKE CARE CENTER WHERE THE USER CAN FREELY DECIDE IF THEY WANT 50% OR 80% LIMIT OR NO LIMIT AT ALL. THIS FEATURE SHOULD BE AVAILABLE FOR EVERY ACER LAPTOP USER, I DON'T MEAN ONLY TO THE ACER NITRO 5, BUT I'M TALKING FROM MY POINT OF VIEW.

I know that those little details where the company listens to the customers and do it's best to fulfill their expectations in making a great user experience is what makes us, the customers, wanna buy again a product from the same company.

FAQ & Answers

• JackEJackE Posts: 13,502ACE Trailblazer
    Others made similar battery suggestions. You might want to post this in the ACER ideas section https://community.acer.com/en/categories/ideas that is reviewed by those who could influence and make a difference. Jack E/NJ
  • jose_beltranjose_beltran Posts: 7Member

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    Others made similar battery suggestions. You might want to post this in the ACER ideas section https://community.acer.com/en/categories/ideas that is reviewed by those who could influence and make a difference. Jack E/NJ
    Great idea, thanks!
  • vkkvkk Posts: 65Member Devotee
    Good idea must have option . I recall lenovo laptops having some option like that 
  • SlowandlowSlowandlow Posts: 7Member New User
    Excellent Jose, I agree in everything! :) 
    I like my new Swift 3 very much, but I would like it even more, if it would have an extensive "Power Managing Center", where it would be possible to choose "Do not charge battery while on AC". And where I could set my own charge cycle- levels: "Start charging when lower than 20%, Stop charging when higher than 85%". And please let me buy a new Acer Original Battery from a trusted supplier, when the battery eventually will be worn out. 
    Thank you ACER!! ;)
  • Mateo620Mateo620 Posts: 87Member Fixer
    Great suggestion as I tend to use my laptop on AC quite a lot! For my Swift 1 SF114-32 I'd have to unplug the battery connector and run the laptop on AC only. That shouldn't be the only way to achieve this.
  • Acer-MannyAcer-Manny Posts: 1,801Acer Crew

Acer Crew

Hi jose_beltran,

Thanks for great feedback and suggestion, we will pass the message to the development team for future consideration.   

Acer-Manny