Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Disable the touchscreen delay after pen input on ACER touchscreen models.

fisheyesfisheyes Posts: 2Member New User
edited October 23 in Acer Ideas
In the Switch 5 there is a 1.5 to 2 second delay after any pen input before touchscreen input is enabled. Also, touch input is completely disabled while the pen is being used. This is obviously an attempt at palm rejection, however it is not, it is simply disabling the touch input when the pen is being used. This is just a lazy attempt at palm rejection.

As a digital artist, and someone who takens notes on the tablet I was keen to use the ACER Switch 5 as a design tablet. Because of this delay it is frustratingly slow to navigate without having to endlessly wait for the touch input to be enabled! I won't be reccomending ACERs to anyone who needs a touch screen for drawing to writing.

This issue is not isolated to my device, nor is it isolated to the Switch 5. Here is a link to another page on these forums asking the same question of the Spin 5. And here is a link to a page of the HP forums where someone was having the EXACT same issue with the HP Spectre X360. Both pages have videos to demonstrate the issue and BOTH have the same delay in touch input. In the Case of the Spectre X360, HP released a firmware to shorten the time the touch is disabled. This goes half way to solve the problem as touch input is still disabled when the pen is being used (see the second link).

I have taken the following steps to fix the issue:
Disabled the "Ignore touch input when I'm using my pen" option in the settings menu
Reinstalled drivers
Factory reset
Reinstalled windows

Therefore my idea to ACER is the following:
- Disable the delay between pen input and touch input.
- Enable the simultaneous use of touch and pen inputs (like any competent manufacturer should, see Microsoft)
- Implement the proper palm rejection that is used by microsoft (As seen here)
- Make a program that allows us to switch between these different modes of palm rejection.

Here are the videos from the above links:

Comments

• tingtingtingting Posts: 10Member New User
    can you use the pen in place to touch input? I mean use the pen to draw as well as touch input
  • tautomertautomer Posts: 4Member New User
    I can confirm this issue. 
  • tautomertautomer Posts: 4Member New User
    tingting said:
    can you use the pen in place to touch input? I mean use the pen to draw as well as touch input
    Touch is COMPLETELY ignored when the pen is being used till ~2s after the pen leaving the screen.
  • fisheyesfisheyes Posts: 2Member New User
    tautomer said:
    tingting said:
    Touch is COMPLETELY ignored when the pen is being used till ~2s after the pen leaving the screen.
    Yes, you are correct. The capacitive touch (fingers, not stylus) is dompletely disabled for 2 seconds after using the stylus. Exacly the same as in the previsouly linked videos.

@tingting - Some things you use capacitive touch to do (scroll), and some you use the pen (draw). It is really annoying to have to wait 2 seconds between either. Especially when taking notes or drawing.

Micorsoft describes HERE, that the CORRECT touch system:

"Prior to Windows 10, upon receiving input from a pen device that was either in-range or in contact of the screen, the operating system would suppress all touch input (whether in inking or erase mode).

In Windows 10, version 1607, the dead-zone is more compact to aid with simultaneous pen and touch interaction. The modified dead-zone captures almost 95% of inadvertent touches while still providing great end-user experience."

And it further notes:

"Although legacy devices (specifically ones that suppress touch input when pen input is being delivered) will function in Windows 10, these devices will not deliver the functionality described above. Additionally, these devices will not deliver any future functionality that leverages simultaneous pen and touch reporting."

Acer has obviously used a "legacy" touch input into this laptop, which is kind of pathetic in a $1000 / £1000 device.