Has anyone recieved warranty for a broken hinge? Acer's laptop's do not last over a year.A715-71G-55

LoreOfLies
LoreOfLies Member Posts: 1 New User
edited February 2021 in Aspire Laptops
MODEL: ASPIRE A715-71G-55R7

A couple months ago my laptop of under one year has been creaking when I open up the screen and completely cracked, shattering the lcd screen in the process. To busy to bring it in under warranty, I waited. Once I contacted warranty, they told me it would be an out of warranty charge of $400 USD?

I've used all my laptops with great care and my previous laptops (Lenovo, HP) never had this problem. After digging around, I've come across that this is an inherent problem with many people, and I am shocked, to say the least, that Acer has not taken more care in this issue. I'm really surprised this isn't covered under warranty. To me, it seems perfectly clear like this is Acer's fault with the manufacturing of weak/thin hinges.

One of my friends had a similar aspire model (5 I believe) and his hinge cracked. Some of my friends have been wanting acer laptops, and needless to say, I am going to not recommend that they buy them.

Not good Acer, it seems you have let your customers down with a substandard product :/

Answers

• thamahes2018
    thamahes2018 Member Posts: 174 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    Hi LoreOfLies, I am sorry to hear that you had some bad experience with the Acer laptop . As you are valued customer we can schedule the computer for the repair and in the repair center they will diagonose the issue and if they find that it's a manufacture defect which causes the screen to cracked than we will repair but incase of customer induce damage they will intimate you about the repair cost and also we can try to see if we can reduce the repair charges.
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    Sorry, this will be an out-of-warranty repair. You might try to get another estimate from a local repair shop. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Codycraig
    Codycraig Member Posts: 2 New User
    JackE said:
    Sorry, this will be an out-of-warranty repair. You might try to get another estimate from a local repair shop. Jack E/NJ
    This may be old but I would suggest Acer to start fixing it's problems before a lawsuit comes cause eventually with enough people having issues like this, Acer will get screwed in court, whether there a big company or not.
  • JackE
    The hinge is probably the most stressed part of any clamshell device like a laptop. Unless the machine is ruggedized in a metal framework, this is a common issue for all major brands even though most users claim they only gently use the machine and almost never open and close the lid. Google keywords 'broken hinge' and 'brandname' like ACER, APPLE, ASUS, DELL & HP to see the relative number of hits for unruggedized machines for each manufacturer. Getting them fixed labor/parts free inside/outside warranty seems inconsistent at best among all manufacturers. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Quetzlcoatl
    Quetzlcoatl Member Posts: 1 New User
    I recently experienced the same issue with an ACER Spin. Broken hinges, and not caused by misuse. The ACER call centre rep said this is not covered under warranty because 'physical interaction is not covered' were the exact words. This sounds ridiculous and ACER should really be asking the question why so many people complain of this problem, this is clearly a design fault. Anyway, you get what you pay for I guess, at $400 this is a cheap piece of junk. Never again. I have always had an HP previously which can't be beaten. I was given the option to send the laptop to ACER to assess it (if judged to be my fault the cost is $50 for the inspection, postage is covered by ACER). I am not sure it is worth going through this hassle when ACER will likely deem this my fault given the call centre guys feedback, so won't cover the repair cost and I will be $50 out of pocket. So will look at ways to try and do a home repair job based on internet DIY posts to fix the hinges and recommend to all my contacts that they avoid buying ACER laptops
  • Tanush123
    Tanush123 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Im literally facing the same problem of a broken hinge. pls help acer

• Nali
    Nali Member Posts: 2 New User
    hi, I bought my spin 3 in 2019, the hinge broke just under the year warranty in 2020 and I sent it in for repairs, its 6 months later and the issue has recurred. i have always been careful with it and I'm starting to see it as a manufacturing issue of weak materials maybe? Could I please have some help or assistance with this? I'm seeing some horror stories of what could happen to the screen. 
  • JackE
    Sorry. As mentioned earlier, the hinge is probably the most stressed part of any clamshell device like a laptop. Unless the machine is ruggedized in a metal framework, this is a common issue for all major brands even though most users claim they only gently use the machine and almost never open and close the lid. Google keywords 'broken hinge' and 'brandname' like ACER, APPLE, ASUS, DELL & HP to see the relative number of hits for unruggedized machines for each manufacturer. Getting them fixed labor/parts free inside/outside warranty seems inconsistent at best among all manufacturers. The only solution for consumer grade mostly plastic based cases is to simply reduce wear and tear by not opening and closing the laptop too much. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• jonesmeier
    jonesmeier Member Posts: 3 New User
    I ran into the same problem with a Spin 3 314-54N, built late 2020. Having read all the forum posts with them refusing to cover it under warranty, and that it was hinge supports separating from the screen cover, I was curious what happened. On my model it turned out the hinges were just glued to the back of the screen cover. A little spot milled out with raised strips and pockets of the housing to give the glue some place to spread, but clearly not enough. I epoxied the hinges back in place (pried off second one), and drilled through a part of the hinge plate and the back cover, tapped the hole through all those layers (stopped the tap from going all the way out the other side because of them wanting to move away from each other), and screwed into the hinge from the back cover side with another countersunk aluminium backing plate.

If you want to open up the screen, it's best to start from the bottom where the rubber bezel (that has the LCD attached to it) clips into the back plate and the hinges themselves. Left and right side of the screen/bezel seem to be held to the back cover with adhesive strips on the back cover (just slowly pry and shove something in there a little past where the screen area starts). If you see a thin metal sheet near the hinges, you want to get between that and the screen, not between that and the back cover.
    Top side is also held on with adhesive. If you're trying to separate the screen/bezel part from the back cover, be careful as it seems to be mostly the left and right adhesive strips holding it, which directly glue onto the back of the LCD and might try to warp it.

Not sure how to glue it back together yet (the left and right adhesive strips will stay pretty sticky if you are careful with them I guess), but between the clips at the bottom and the adhesive at the top, my screen is back together now and folds open and closed nicely. Lost the ability to fold it all the way around because of the backing plates for the screws.

Sorry for the long post, maybe it'll inspire someone to try a repair, maybe just re-glueing the hinges would have been enough. The glue used on my model was quickly dissolved in some acetone, but not sure what that says about the glue.
  • jonesmeier
    Edit: not sure if the bezel also has some glue right around the edges holding it to the back cover, better to just try and separate the rubber surround and not get underneath the screen itself so much, I think that's what I did. Just try to pry it open from the rubbery part, which I think will loosen the adhesive strips that go right to the back of the two sides of the screen. I was surprised how soft and flexible the LCD itself was, so just go slowly and carefully. I'm just trying to share what I did, obviously this is a one-off thing and it could have gone wrong.
  • jonesmeier
    DON'T DO THIS! DON'T DO THIS! DON'T DO THIS!

Sorry, I feel stupid now, I just noticed my touchscreen stopped working towards the center of the screen.
    Please someone delete these posts if you get the chance to... sorry again!

DON'T DO THIS! DON'T DO THIS! DON'T DO THIS!

• JackE
    jonesmeier >>>I epoxied the hinges back in place>>>

Despite your misgivings, I think you were on the right track. Thanks for posting. I  doubt the touchscreen issue is directly related to your repair.   :) Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ