Swift 1- SF114-32: won't detect m.2 SSD

Answers

• WileECoyote
    WileECoyote Member Posts: 22 Networker
    I think it's the problem with eMMC drive, you could try disabling it to test whether it's the problem, go to BIOS, move to Advanced tab, click SATA Configuration and disable eMMC and check whether it makes any difference, you won't be able to boot but you can enable it latter.

I haven't actually tried this yet. That might be the issue. I'll test later tonight.
    If this is the case, it seems I can't run with the EMMC drive and the SSD together. Not a big deal, but makes it a bit tricky cloning the drives.
    I'll test later and will report back.
    Thanks.
  • WileECoyote
    I tried the above and rebooted, no success.
    I'm about ready to give up. It's frustrating since many other people on this foum don't appear to have had the issues I'm having. Have I bought a dud PC?
  • I tried the above and rebooted, no success.
    I'm about ready to give up. It's frustrating since many other people on this foum don't appear to have had the issues I'm having. Have I bought a dud PC?
    I am sorry to hear the problems you are having with this ssd, I think it's not your PC but it's the Intel SSD, others also having difficulties using Intel SSDs.
  • I also do not think your notebook is in trouble! If your ssd is still under warranty, exchange for a samsung 970 evo which is also a gen3x4 nvme!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • WileECoyote
    Thanks for the tip guys. I'll pop back to my computer shop and see if I can swap the SSD. 
    I appreciate your persistance with helping me :)
  • WileECoyote
    Hey all, before I go ahead and try the samsung 970. Should I have better success if I buy an SSD that is a SATA connection instead?
  • This model supports both types of ssd! The ssd m2 2280 sata III will suit you well, but the nvme is much faster, especially when you save large files!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • WileECoyote
    edited September 2018
    Hey all, I returned the NVME SSD and an obtained a 250 GB Western Digital Blue M.2 SATA SSD. It worked immedaitely after installing, so I'm happy now. I know the speeds won't be as fast as the NVME, but trying to get the other one to work was becoming a headache. Possibly the SATA controller doesn't allow the NVME to detect? Who knows, but it's sorted now.

This issue can be maked as resolved.

Thank you to everyone for your help, especially egydiocoelho for your persistance. Cheers.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,695 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    In fact, the controller supports both models! Although it solved the problem by changing the ssd for a sata 3!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Clotu69
    Clotu69 Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have the same problem with my Acer Swift 1 SF114-32-P30S. Windows 10 and the BIOS do not recognize my SSD card. I tried the Samsung 970 EVO. And the card quickly becomes very hot. I think (understand) that it is a PCI Express 2.0 x4 (SATA Mode: AHCI). Which SSD card do you propose?

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,086 Trailblazer
    Clotu69 said:
    I have the same problem with my Acer Swift 1 SF114-32-P30S. Windows 10 and the BIOS do not recognize my SSD card. I tried the Samsung 970 EVO. And the card quickly becomes very hot. I think (understand) that it is a PCI Express 2.0 x4 (SATA Mode: AHCI). Which SSD card do you propose?

Hi,
    You can use only a M.2 SATA SSD and not a NVMe SSD in your model, Samsung 970 Evo is not compatible with your laptop, I would suggest you to return it and get M.2 SATA SSD for your laptop.
    https://www.userbenchmark.com/System/Acer-Swift-SF114-32/90065
  • Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,695 Trailblazer
    edited October 2018
    @brummyfan2! So in this case, both the service manual and the product sheet are wrong to show that this model supports nvme gen3x4?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,086 Trailblazer
    Hi @egydiocoelho
    Yes, I think it's wrong as I couldn't find anyone successfully installed a NVMe drive in this model, I don't know the reason for it, could be the CPU which doesn't have support for Optane.
    https://ark.intel.com/products/128988/Intel-Celeron-N4000-Processor-4M-Cache-up-to-2-60-GHz-
  • PlanetMercury
    PlanetMercury Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter
    The 128GB model comes with a 128GB NVMe drive installed already. Definitely NVMe, not SATA. I have no explanation for why an NVMe doesn't work in the model with the 64GB eMMC.
  • PlanetMercury
    edited July 2020
    Sorry I can't edit my comment so I'll add this here:

The drive pre-installed on the 128GB model (of SF114-32) is the Kingston RBUSNS8154P3128GJ1.  Looks like the same part as certain models of the Swift 3.  In fact, a search on the model name seems to only return information about the Swift 3 (I  guess this configuration is rare on a Swift 1?)

It's an NVMe m.2 2280.  Laptop is the SF114-32-P2N7, model NX.GXUSA.007

Does anyone know if the Swift 1 with pre-installed NVMe drive has better compatibility with other NVMe drives than the models with the 64GB eMMC?  128GB is a little small so I'm interested in a future upgrade.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer
    It looks like the switch from the Hynix to the Kingston is a recent change for some newer SKUs. The 128GB Hynix is SATA, all the 256GB models have NVMe initially. The motherboard is the same for all models, it doesn't look like they offer the 64GB eMMC version separately.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • PlanetMercury
    Should I take that to mean that my particular laptop, being one of the newer SKUs, therefore should work with any NVMe drive?  It wouldn't be whitelisted to just the supplied Kingston one?
  • Some users have successfully installed a nvme: https://www.userbenchmark.com/System/Acer-Swift-SF114-32/90065

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• PlanetMercury
    edited July 2020
    Some users have successfully installed a nvme: https://www.userbenchmark.com/System/Acer-Swift-SF114-32/90065
    There's no way to tell from that if that's on models which came standard with an NVMe like mine though is there?  And if that's just models which came standard with an NVMe drive, do those models accept *any* NVMe drives or just certain few?
  • What is the exact model of your laptop? Example SF114-32-C4PZ.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer