M.2 SSD for Acer Aspire E5-475

EddyOS
EddyOS Member Posts: 3 New User
edited August 2023 in 2018 Archives
Good evening,

My wife has the above laptop, full model E5-475-31NV, running the latest v1.21 BIOS and I know it has an M.2 slot for an SSD but I can't work out which SSD to get that will fit so here I am to ask your advice!

HWINFO64 would suggest that the free slot is 2x speed so IIRC that means I can use an NVMe drive, right?

Here is a photo of the slot on the MoBo for confirmation

From what I can tell the Samsung EVO 970 would fit but I obviously want to be sure!

Thanks in advance,

Ed

Comments

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,475 Trailblazer
    It's safer to install a garden variety m.2 SATA3 2280 card rather than nvme. Nvmes should work but sometimes don't --- and often not worth paying a premium over SATA3. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• EddyOS
    JackE said:
    It's safer to install a garden variety m.2 SATA3 2280 card rather than nvme. Nvmes should work but sometimes don't --- and often not worth paying a premium over SATA3. Jack E/NJ
    Thanks for the feedback. Can you confirm the key that slot is in? I believe it's M but, again, I want to be sure before buying one. Or would it be easier to get a B+M keyed SSD to help compatibility?
  • JackE
    The slot accepts both m.2 SATA3 SSDs & nvmes. Nvmes are more bleeding edge. I wouldn't pay a premium for an nvme. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• EddyOS
    JackE said:
    The slot accepts both m.2 SATA3 SSDs & nvmes. Nvmes are more bleeding edge. I wouldn't pay a premium for an nvme. Jack E/NJ

Thanks again for the reply. The price difference isn't actually that much when buying on Amazon (£85 for the 970 and £77 for the 960) so will probably go for the 970. I'm sure I can get other makes but I've been using Samsung 2.5" SSDs in my other laptops/computers so know they're good
  • JackE
    Good luck whichever way you go. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ