Predator X34 USB 3.0 Hub Not Working

ElemntZeroS7L
ElemntZeroS7L Member Posts: 3 New User
I've searched the forum and found an old post about this, but it won't fix my issue.

I didn't even realize I wasn't using the USB Hub on the back of my display until I moved this past weekend. Setup the new office, plugged in monitor, everything is good except that the Hub isn't working.
System is Windows 10 Pro. Intel 7700K. EVGA Z270K Classified. 32GB DDR4 Dual Channel.

Here's what I've tried thus far:

• 2 cables, including the one that came with the display
  • all 5 USB 3.0 ports on my PC
  • both USB 2.0 ports on my PC
  • Disconnected all USB devices and reconnected display USB HUB only
  • Multiple reboots
I'm thinking that maybe there is something wrong with the USB Hub on the monitor itself.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    Possibly... Can you get us a good picture of the connections on the monitor side with the cables?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • ElemntZeroS7L
    Sorry, just now getting back to this.

• billsey
    Yeah, that all looks good. You have tried two cables, so it's unlikely to be a problem there. If you fire up Device Manager and look at USB controllers does one show up when you plug that cable into a 3.0 port on the computer? If not it's likely to be an issue either with the internal cabling for the USB in the monitor (which might be just a circuit board), since the connections are pretty close together or it might be a power issue where the monitor motherboard provides power to the USB circuit.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • ElemntZeroS7L
    No, it doesnm't show up when I plug it in to any of the ports on the PC. I've tried all 4 USB 3.0 ports on this machine as well as on a different machine. No dice.

Are you suggesting taking the monitor apart and checking thew internal wiring? I just want to be clear on that. I'm pretty okay doing that as I routinely take apart AIO Dell's for work.
  • billsey
    That's more of an "are you in warranty" issue I think. If you're out of warranty it's worth looking inside to see if there's anything obvious. If you are in warranty it's much better to let the Acer technicians just fix whatever the cause might be.
  • oscode
    oscode Member Posts: 1 New User
    This is a bit old but since i had this problem and did not find the solution i'll post my solution here for the X34GS. Just in case someone else has this issue and to prevent uneccesary warranty claims.

If you have plugged in the USB-B and/or USB-C go to into monitor menu --> System --> USB Port Select. Select USB connection that you're using.
    This was not recognized "plug 'n play" for me when connecting the monitor. After setting the selector manually everything worked perfectly.

cheers!
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi oscode,

Good to know thanks for your information. It will be useful for many people. ​
  • wwje
    wwje Member Posts: 1 New User
    Creating an account in 2021 just to thank @oscode for the fix!
  • winejug
    winejug Member Posts: 5 New User
    Does anyone know the DDC/hex codes to switch the USB ports?
  • catacas
    catacas Member Posts: 1 New User
    @winejug no, but if you have found anything I'd be very interested in it aswell. I hate changing the usb input when changing from the laptop to the pc.

• texan_2022
    texan_2022 Member Posts: 3 New User

@winejug Based on my investigation using ddcutil the usb upstream port setting is not exposed via DDC/CI. Here's how I investigated using ddcutil on ubuntu.

Set USB Port Select to B-Type

Scan vcp and save to usb-b.txt

ddcutil getvcp scan > usb-b.txt

Set USB Port Select to C-Type

ddcutil getvcp scan > usb-c.txt

Diff the output

diff usb-b.txt usb-c.txt

Nothing changed.

• Circuitspark
    Circuitspark Member Posts: 1 New User

Signed up just to leave the fix I found, still can't believe this stupid stupid thing fixed it.

Power cycled monitor multiple times, tried different cables, different ports, Monitor has been unplugged from wall, several times for sever reasons since I first noticed this, nothing would get the hub working.

But then today I come back to this thread quite some time since last time I was here and I read @oscode 's comment, could not find the settings mentioned however, but what I did find while looking for that was "Quick Start Mode" and "Power-off USB charge" under the "System" menu , both turned on, turned both off, pressed the power button once to turn monitor off, again to turn it on, now my hub works again.

Apparently with that Quick Start mode, (and maybe power off USB charge) will prevent the monitor from properly rebooting even if power is completely removed

• billsey

Yes, Quick Start mode leaves it partially powered up so the start doesn't have to be from scratch, and that can cause some weird artifacts...