Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Fn lock key

ursmeiliursmeili Posts: 9Member

Tinkerer

It seems that a lot of Acer devices, also some which are being marketed as "professional" devices such as the Switch 7, still lack a possibility to "lock" the function keys so that they work as originally intended without having to press "Fn" each time. Most other notebook brands provide such a possibility either in their BIOS, or as a utility. 
This essentially forbids serious work with e.g. MS Office programs, or development tools such as Visual Studio, since they heavily rely on Function keys for essential things like renaming, searching etc. People who are used to work blindly with their keyboards have a hard time to press Fn + F-Key each time, since the Fn key is so far away from the function keys that it cannot be done without looking at the keyboard.

PLEASE PLEASE, Acer, provide a way on ALL your recent notebooks (but especially the Switch 7, since I own this device since a few weeks), to lock the Function key behavior. NOBODY wants to press F2 all the times to switch on Airplane mode, but MILLIONS of people want to press F2 to rename a file several times a day. Let alone F1 for sleep mode...

See also this discussion here: https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/547718/fn-lock-on-switch-7/p1?new=1, and this one here: https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/534048/function-keys-with-or-without-fn-holding/p2

Comments

• AlfBAlfB Posts: 1Member New User
    got my Acer Switch 7 to work last days and found out that I have the same issue. I definitely have to say that not taking the function keys to their intended behaviour really sucks.
  • PengspPengsp Posts: 18Member Troubleshooter
    I also almost have to pay service center $85+ to recover my bios password. This forum not allowed to discuss bios recovery, call Call center and he said still under warranted and would be fixed for free, went all the way and waiting for slooooooooooooooooow moving service staffs and to be told that it is not free and will be charged at least $85, I walked out and try other means to recover my password and to discover just because of THIS FN key. I guess many people got wrong bios password and have to pay Acer to recover also due to this FN key.
  • lukascklukasck Posts: 7Member New User
    Hello
    I would like to report the same problem on Acer Spin SP111-32N SN: NXGRMEP003XXXXXXXXXXX (BIOS version is 1.08)
    This abomination of a keyboard layout makes it so anoying and slow as molasses in winter to work in file menagers like Total Commander, text and graphics editors... or even when i try to use typical windows shortcuts like alt+F4... I'm currentely using few other computers with simmilar software so im not gonna relearn my habits for this one unit...
    It is very frustrating to be force to wokeup your device every 30 minutes (since im a fast and somewhat chaotic typer, often when i want to press ESC i tap F1 which is sleep button in this notebook - with traditional layout that's not a problem since F1 barely does anything in Windows operating system, but on this device it is catastrophical)... Why would anyone introduce inverted function key layout??... who even thinks thats a good idea?? Its like designing a air tight car chassis with exhaust pipe inside of it... Its madness! I absolutely hate it... and it is the biggest let down (as computer buying goes) i have experienced in last 10 years... and i had bought a laptop once that literally burned into flames after 3 weeks of use (not kidding)...

Please find some solution for this problem... If something doesn't come up soon i will have to return this device...

Unfortunately no effort has been given to resolve this problem... My only alternative is to resell this unit and buy something else, such a big shame... i remember back in a day, when Acer put a lot of effort in their software, so much that a 7 year old, low end laptop could be used with ease to various tasks without issue... guess those days are long gone... Thanks for assistance, not returning here any time soon...
  • TenTen1TenTen1 Posts: 5Member

Tinkerer

my Acer spin 1's fn key is locked and most of the letters are changed to numbers. I've tried lots of things, but it wouldn't work. Can anyone give me a solution to help me? btw, I really need a reply because using a keyboard is essential for my studies.
  • billseybillsey Posts: 6,117ACE Pathfinder
    It looks like we can get a portion of the normal function by using a program called AutoHotKey. I've had luck getting F9-F12 working correctly with the following script lines:
    ; F9 key by default, Fn+F9 is now Mute/Unmute
    VOLUME_MUTE::F9
    F9::VOLUME_MUTE

; F10 key by default, Fn+F10 is now Volume Down
    VOLUME_DOWN::F10
    F10::VOLUME_DOWN

; F11 key by default, Fn+F11 is now Volume Up
    VOLUME_UP::F11
    F11::VOLUME_UP

; F12 key by default, Fn+F12 is now NumLock
    NumLock::F12
    F12::NumLock
    I haven't found equivalent support for F1-F8, some of those keys seem to be bound before the OS. :(

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Michael702Michael702 Posts: 1Member New User
    TenTen1 said:
    my Acer spin 1's fn key is locked and most of the letters are changed to numbers. I've tried lots of things, but it wouldn't work. Can anyone give me a solution to help me? btw, I really need a reply because using a keyboard is essential for my studies.
    My Acer Swift 1 is having the same problem. Is anyone able to help with this?
    TenTen1 said:
    press F12 key (without Fn key pressed) - problem solved