Cant install Ubuntu on Ryzen 2200u

devord
devord Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited March 20 in 2019 Archives
I've tried installing 18.04, but i can only get inside grub, and when i click install it crashes and i get this error https://ibb.co/fxptcT .
Ive heard that stability is better on newer kernels, but i can even install ubuntu.

Best Answer

Answers

• Gawain
    Gawain Member Posts: 373 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    for starters, I take it you can live boot from a usb stick then it crashes from installing within a live boot?
  • devord

Tinkerer

I can only get to the grub menu, if i try to run live version i get black screen, if i choose to install i get error above.
  • Gawain
    edited July 2018
    live version with black screen...okay try this:  boot from the stick and when you get to the "|try ubuntu without installing" bit, hit "e" and replace "quiet splash" with "nomodeset" then hit F10 and see what happens (I had a black screen on a live boot a while back and this got to live boot part)   ((using uefi mode and personally i disable secure boot))
  • devord

Tinkerer

edited July 2018
    Ive tried it,  this is what happens my cooler starts going crazy. Maybe i could try updating BIOS?
  • Gawain
    Answer ✓
    okay, i know this sounds counter intuitive, but could you try with 16.04lts, same process (nomodeset etc)

https://www.ubuntu.com/download/alternative-downloads
  • Gawain
    scrub that, sorry, i doubt it'll help.  I read this article and the comments section is an interesting read

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=AMD-Raven-Ridge-Mobo-Linux
  • devord

Tinkerer

It actually worked,  thank you for your patience  =)  . Really strange that it works on older version, i guess ill have to stick to this version. 
  • Gawain
    ah ha!  Brilliant.  errr...glad it helped even if i convinced myself i was talking bs!  Now, if you're feeling very very lucky, you could always update to the new version from within 16.04 but as 16.04 has maintenance updates until 2021 (ish), if it ain't broke, don't fix it.  Enjoy.
  • Crashoverkill2k
    Crashoverkill2k Member Posts: 1 New User
    Have you tried to set in your grub "noapic"? that worked for me including "nomodeset". Running Ryzen 3
  • rich1974
    rich1974 Member Posts: 198 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon
    a little late advice....
    few days ago i tried a live USB with ubuntu 18.10. it worked quite good and booted right away, without any modification. i only tried live session. 
    i have noticed that it uses the newer video driver "amdgpu", not radeon. i doubt that 16.04 uses amdgpu. maybe if you install the latest kernel... you can chec the "driver in use "
    lspci -nnk | grep -i vga -A3 | grep 'in use'

• Utente01
    Utente01 Member Posts: 5 New User
    So is there a way to install some linux version on our Ryzen 3 2200u, I have an Acer aspire 3 A315-41 and i get the same error of devord with ubuntu 18
  • devord

Tinkerer

Utente01 said:
    So is there a way to install some linux version on our Ryzen 3 2200u, I have an Acer aspire 3 A315-41 and i get the same error of devord with ubuntu 18
    These are the steps that worked for me

When you burn your OS (Ubuntu 16/18, Elementary, or any Ubuntu derived distribution) onto the USB stick, go to WHATEVER_USB_DRIVE_LETTER:\boot\grub and open the "grub.cfg" file. There you will see all possible options to run on boot, so go there and look for every line that contains "quiet splash", and right after splash, add "acpi=noirq pci=noacpi ivrs_ioapic[4]=00:14.0 ivrs_ioapic[5]=00:00.2".
    (if you cant boot at all at these lines to while in grub) 
    I'll give you an example,
    Before:
    linux /casper/vmlinuz  file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper quiet splash ---
    After:
    linux /casper/vmlinuz  file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper quiet splash acpi=noirq pci=noacpi ivrs_ioapic[4]=00:14.0 ivrs_ioapic[5]=00:00.2 ---

There is a firmware problem with internal routing and memory tables. This fix applies to all AN515-42 models with latest BIOS.

4. Restart your PC, try to boot your newly installed Linux, notice it will fail.

5. Restart your PC and boot the USB stick (F12 key).

6. So now, you boot the USB stick again and select "Try Ubuntu / Elementary / whatever".

7. Click on the file browser and go to your installed Linux drive, the file browser will automount the partition, and go to /boot/grub (/media/ubuntu/some-serial-number-123123123/boot/grub). Careful! There will be YOUR_USB_DRIVE/boot/grub, YOUR_CURRENT_LINUX_SESSION/boot/grub, MOUNTED_PARTITION_FROM_PREVIOUS_LINUX_BOOT/boot/grub, and you want the last one.

8. Open grub.cfg and redo what you did at point 3.

9. Whenever using "sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade -y", as in whenever you upgrade your Linux, make sure the "acpi=noirq pci=noacpi ivrs_ioapic[4]=00:14.0 ivrs_ioapic[5]=00:00.2" doesn't get removed from "/boot/grub/grub.cfg"!!! This can happen when grub gets upgraded. To try and avoid this, go to /usr/lib/grub-legacy/update-grub and look for defoptions="quiet splash" and add "acpi=noirq pci=noacpi ivrs_ioapic[4]=00:14.0 ivrs_ioapic[5]=00:00.2". Also in the /etc/default/grub look for the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="quiet splash" and add make it GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="quiet splash acpi=noirq pci=noacpi ivrs_ioapic[4]=00:14.0 ivrs_ioapic[5]=00:00.2"

10. Restart, pull out USB stick, and enjoy your Linux.

11. Optionally, wherever you see quiet splash you can delete quiet splash, if you want to see verbose logs whenever booting, instead of the logo splash loader.

PS: Let me know if it worked.
  • Utente01
    devord said:
    Utente01 said:

When you burn your OS (Ubuntu 16/18, Elementary, or any Ubuntu derived distribution) onto the USB stick, go to WHATEVER_USB_DRIVE_LETTER:\boot\grub and open the "grub.cfg" file. There you will see all possible options to run on boot, so go there and look for every line that contains "quiet splash", and right after splash, add "acpi=noirq pci=noacpi ivrs_ioapic[4]=00:14.0 ivrs_ioapic[5]=00:00.2".
    Before:
    linux /casper/vmlinuz  file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper quiet splash ---
    After:
    linux /casper/vmlinuz  file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper quiet splash acpi=noirq pci=noacpi ivrs_ioapic[4]=00:14.0 ivrs_ioapic[5]=00:00.2 ---

There is a firmware problem with internal routing and memory tables. This fix applies to all AN515-42 models with latest BIOS.

4. Restart your PC, try to boot your newly installed Linux, notice it will fail.

6. So now, you boot the USB stick again and select "Try Ubuntu / Elementary / whatever".

7. Click on the file browser and go to your installed Linux drive, the file browser will automount the partition, and go to /boot/grub (/media/ubuntu/some-serial-number-123123123/boot/grub). Careful! There will be YOUR_USB_DRIVE/boot/grub, YOUR_CURRENT_LINUX_SESSION/boot/grub, MOUNTED_PARTITION_FROM_PREVIOUS_LINUX_BOOT/boot/grub, and you want the last one.

9. Whenever using "sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade -y", as in whenever you upgrade your Linux, make sure the "acpi=noirq pci=noacpi ivrs_ioapic[4]=00:14.0 ivrs_ioapic[5]=00:00.2" doesn't get removed from "/boot/grub/grub.cfg"!!! This can happen when grub gets upgraded. To try and avoid this, go to /usr/lib/grub-legacy/update-grub and look for defoptions="quiet splash" and add "acpi=noirq pci=noacpi ivrs_ioapic[4]=00:14.0 ivrs_ioapic[5]=00:00.2". Also in the /etc/default/grub look for the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="quiet splash" and add make it GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="quiet splash acpi=noirq pci=noacpi ivrs_ioapic[4]=00:14.0 ivrs_ioapic[5]=00:00.2"

11. Optionally, wherever you see quiet splash you can delete quiet splash, if you want to see verbose logs whenever booting, instead of the logo splash loader.

Thanks for your answer, I have troubles with step 7 (I have tried to install Ubuntu 18): I can't find the path (Screenshots https://imgur.com/1IygQ6h https://imgur.com/2L78ort) and don't undrstand when i should exactly install it
  • Utente01
    devord said:
    Utente01 said:

Before:
    After:

Thanks for your answer, I have troubles with point number 7 (Ubuntu 18): I can't find the path (Screenshot 
  • Utente01
    Wow It worked i had tu use SuperUser permission on Ubuntu terminal because it's the only way to replace that file.
    Thank you very much, now everythink seem to work exept touchpad. Do you know ho to fix it?
  • devord

Tinkerer

Utente01 said:
    Wow It worked i had tu use SuperUser permission on Ubuntu terminal because it's the only way to replace that file.
    Thank you very much, now everythink seem to work exept touchpad. Do you know ho to fix it?
    No problem, try updating the kernel.
  • Utente01
    For touchpad? How to do that?
  • Christiaan
    Christiaan Member Posts: 1 New User
    devord said:
    Utente01 said:

Before:
    After:

aren't you afraid of overheating the gpu. I had it running for a little while with noacpi and blender renders where 40% faster but only for about 3 seconds
    I would really like to see it work, I think the Ryzen 7 is a very nice chip and the Acer a good package