What is wrong with CoolBoost?? - predator 17

namubarbu
namubarbu Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited June 2021 in Predator Laptops
I own a predator 17 x 703d laptop. Problem is my cpu temperature keeps hitting 96 C when playing games. 
Predator's sense maximum fan speed do only so much to keep it cooled, so there is this CoolBoost on Acer Quick Access to help further cool down the laptop.
Without it the fan speed is at 3700 RPM, with CoolBoost it rises up to 4200 RPM and brings down the temperature from 96 to low or mid 80 C.
However the CoolBoost does not stay on, RPM starts dropping down back to 3700 RPM as if it was never enabled when the system is under heavy load.
Funny thing is, it stays on when it is NOT under heavy load. Like youtube.. or playing very very low graphics game.
I talked to acer customer service about this, only answer I got was.. CoolBoost is not supposed to stay on all the time... 
Why do I need CoolBoost if it only works when I don't need it? when CPU is already cool? and it will stay on forever as long as I am not playing demanding games. I don't get it.
I can't play any games at the moment because I am just killing it's lifespan right now.

//Edited the content to add model name.

Answers

• sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    edited July 2018
    Coolboost, when turned on, activates only when fans hit max RPM, and stay on for a short while until temps reduce. Think of like the turbo mode of processor where it pushes to turbo when max power is needed and then scales back down to normal speeds.

Get an external USB fan and increase the height of laptop by adding felt pads under its legs to allow more air flow below it.

One more thing you could try is undervolting using ThrottleStop or similar software.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • namubarbu
    namubarbu Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Wow... what is this sorcery??? I tried out ThrottleStop and its MAGIC! I am down to 66~72 C now no matter the game settings and CoolBoost is on all the time now for some reason. LOVE YOU
  • Rahul0712
    Rahul0712 Member Posts: 3 New User
    namubarbu said:
    Wow... what is this sorcery??? I tried out ThrottleStop and its MAGIC! I am down to 66~72 C now no matter the game settings and CoolBoost is on all the time now for some reason. LOVE YOU
    How did you limit your cpu with throttlestop